Firefox 4 Delayed Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I actually think it is refreshing to see a company ensure a product is as complete as possible before rushing to a release, far to many companies rush their product out unfinished and leave teh user with a bad taste in their mouth.

I say keep working to get it right and release when ready, it's not like were actually short of browsers to use in the meantime.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I'm worried about IE9's release, GFWL games didn't launch properly when I tested it, GTA4 (all of the episodes too) almost never launched correctly.

Great to see firefox is working so vigorously towards a better, more stable browser.

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I told you so! Well actually I didn't but there was never a doubt in my mind that they would miss any goals they set since beta 7.
It's all good though because it's given me some time to try about every browser out there and for me I prefer Firefox's few quirks to the rest. I like to use a lot of extensions and while Opera, Chrome, Safari, & IE9 are great core browsers once I load them all up with extensions Firefox behaves much better.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is a good thing...mozilla is doing a wonderful job, especially since it's free, just think of how much time they've spent on making sure the new browser will have a limited amount of bugs...keep it up

G

I am not sure what the big problem is. If you like FireFox, and can handle the tiny list of weird bugs, run the 11th beta, it works great, I've had no problems with it and it is better than FF3.6 for me. If you want it to be the stable version they want, then just wait until they fix all of the bugs.

The problem with software is that development is so uncertain, you can't say how long bugs take to fix, and which are easy and hard, you can see from Bugzilla what they want fixed before they consider it done, so either wait until it's fixed, or run a beta.

gsxr1181

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]after the betas, how many more RCs before the final release. i can wait as there are other choices available.[/citation]

Use the 4.0 beta11. It's been rock solid for me, and better then 3.6.13.

gsxr1181

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Ignore the above post, I haven't had my coffee yet......

[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]Delayed again!! I was so looking forward to this[/citation]

Use the 4.0 beta11. It's been rock solid for me, and better then 3.6.13.

G

Holding back teh release for QA is admirable, to be sure, but the larger issue is Mozilla's inability to iterate (nearly) as fast as Chrom, which is why Firefox is losign critical mindshare as well as Marketshare to Google. Not googd, Mozilla, we need you to keep up the good fight.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The one thing about firefox that I am not happy with. Is that over the years it has only got more and more bloated and slower regardless of the machine. I was one of the early adapters back in 2006 and 2007 when it would run smooth even on a sluggish 500mhz p3 but now days it has it's moments ware it just hog's out 2gb or more of the swap file, up to 1gb of ram all on it's own.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]The one thing about firefox that I am not happy with. Is that over the years it has only got more and more bloated and slower regardless of the machine. I was one of the early adapters back in 2006 and 2007 when it would run smooth even on a sluggish 500mhz p3 but now days it has it's moments ware it just hog's out 2gb or more of the swap file, up to 1gb of ram all on it's own.[/citation]
I too have used it for a long time (even back when Netscape went to the original Mozilla code) and have noticed it get a little more bloated and sluggish. We cannot compare something today though with something 5-10 years ago, more features and capabilities are needed and things normally require more and more resources over time (case in point is the Windows OS itself). The only thing I have noticed has been severe instability when I have some Flash intensive pages up - other than that rock solid.

On a further note about your memory usage problem, not sure what to tell you. On Linux, I rarely go over 350mb (commonly in the 250mb range) and that's with roughly 15-20 tabs open at all times. I can get closer to the 400mb area on Windows 7, but close enough nonetheless (both machines with 3.6.X).

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I for one find it better for FF 4.0 to stay in beta long enough. For starters, it doesn't really matter to the end user - you can still use 4.0, it will just continue to carry the 'beta' tag. And second, it's better than rushing a half finished product to the market (and I'm *not* looking at IE 9).

On the other hand, Chrome and (to a lesser extent) Opera manage to deliver updates far quicker. In Chrome's case, that's normal given the fact it never had a massive UI update and is backed by a massive tech company, but Mozilla should try to to outdo Opera I think.

G

Firefox is an excellent browser and one of the very best, I have rarely run into problems with it, and none as of recent with the 3 variety. Slow? not with my rig, I have not been able to detect any difference in speed among the five main browsers, they all seem to be fast to me .However if measurements say otherwise, well..... I could not care less. I am not going to change my daily browser just because they are coming late with their new version.I have no problems with the present one. Explorer has improved a lot but their safety record is not irrelevant. I've just been told Firefox has been found slower in measurements by a couple of microseconds....gee, !!!!! I'm going to loose my sleep on this one !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.