Firefox 4 for Android Finally Arrives, But Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
28 supported devices (Firefox limited by hardware?), 51 specifically non-supported devices and 7 that can't run because of incompatibilities. I would have to say that Firefox is now running on Android - SORT OF. If they were to herald this honestly, they should be saying that Firefox now runs on nearly 50% of Android devices.

Think I'll take the above advice and try Dolphin.

Such a pity, as I do like Firefox on my desktop.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]lol@busboy[/nom]lol @ bobusboyas if anyone cares[/citation]

It was a comment, if you'd like I could elaborate about addons and webpage compatibility or a lack there of.

G

Try to use any other mobile browser in any site running the Raphael Javascript Library for vector drawing. It uses VML and SVG, parts of HTML 5. No other mobile browser, except for the Safari, supports it. And Safari support makes it slow to a crawl, while FF 4 does it brilliantly well, so I consider it the only mobile Browser supporting VML and SVG. The others are jokes.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If this was IE or anything Microsoft all the FF fanbois would be spitting rabid foam by now.They f**ked up and no amount of backpedalling will hide it.[/citation]

Amen.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If this was IE or anything Microsoft all the FF fanbois would be spitting rabid foam by now.They f**ked up and no amount of backpedalling will hide it.[/citation]True, but contrary to the desktop environment where you can pretty much run whatever software you want with 6-7 year old hardware, in Android the old ARM6 processors SUCK. Android now VS 18 months ago is an impressive story. Can an Celeron Emachine with a VIA chipset run IE9 w/Full acceleration? Prolly not. Can the Eris run FF4 Mobile? Nope.

Can my Droid X run it? Yeah, but it still loads way slower than the stock browser, so the point is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.