Firefox 5 Scheduled for June 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
If you really don't like the UI for Firefox 4, you can always modify it to look as 3.x as you would like...FYI.

dimamu15

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]It better have a UI that is functional like 3, or I am not coming back to it.[/citation]
What's wrong with UI?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Oh please, this new Chrome-ish version naming scheme is so melodramatic! What's wrong with simple, clear numbering? What's wrong with "5.4"? I don't much care for "5.4.55.123" - it might be relevant for developers and testers, but what's the logic behind pushing that nonsense down the throat of users. Hmm.....I wonder how it would go off if instead of Windows 7, I would write, "Oh, I'm using "Windows 7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850" Yeah, that wouldn't go off too well, would it, and yet that's useful info to some, but not to the user. Mozilla, just keep to simple and elegant. Let google be the show off, you don't need to go that way...

G

[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]It better have a UI that is functional like 3, or I am not coming back to it.[/citation]
You're one of few.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I hope they fix the serious memory leak in version 4 with this update. I can't even use firefox right now because of it.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Looks like they were a little disappointed by the fact their their brand spanking new FF4 got it's ass handed to it by IE9, and are now playing the old "okay, this time we will get serious" card.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I personally like firefox in all It's forms :p fast and easy to use so Idc much what version it is.

(by the way, get rid of those shopping cmoments please, they get annoying)

Sb1

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
It's a stupid renaming system. So we'll be at version 30 in 5 years. How many programs really use that. It seems when most get to 10, then they start naming programs version 2011, 2012. Because they appear that they are getting too high up there, but internally they say 2011, but have like 16.5.12, that's when things get really confusing.

I know this version 4 is a major overhaul, but nothing wrong with calling the next major one 4.1, then 6 months with another big upgrade 4.2. I don't mind the 4.0.10 numbering systems. People can figure out with Google, which would lead them to sites like this that if next one was 4.1.0 was major overhaul from the previous they could figure it out very quickly, they don't need to have a version 5. Yes it's psychological for many, but when you click the update, or it pops up Mozilla could even have a Bing, Yahoo, and Google link icons bringing them to those search pages with the keywords filled in for the reason to switch to a nice newer feature rich update.

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I was so excited about FF4 and thinking I would replace Chrome as my default browser...but on noooo! FF4 kept on crashing and crashing and crashing on two out of the 3 computers I put it on. The only stable FF4 is on my Linux laptop. I can't get to run for long on either of my Windows machines.

Sb1

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
pclee, that sucks to hear. I forgot to mention that I haven't installed FF4 yet. I'm waiting for someone to update SearchWP, or find a similar one. It will be shortly, but I'll first try installing it in Sandboxie and then seeing how it goes.
Almost forgot, I have to get Roboform 7 first, since v6 doesn't work with FF4 apparently.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]YeZ[/nom]What's wrong with version 4? What's the point of giving it a very short lifespan...?[/citation]

Nothings wrong. They'll just call FF4.1 - FF5 instead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.