Firefox Will Be More "Social" Soon, Mozilla Says

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should be focusing on reducing the footprint greatly by tightening up the code, and jettisoning useless bloat. For the most part the web is just pictures and text. There is no reason why any computer from the 90's shouldn't be able to navigate most of it smoothly. At least anything you can go to on an iPhone.

Heck a 486 could even play back video CD's fine. Which is high enough quality for most online videos except the sparse HD content. On a 68040 Quadra 840AV you could edit video. Now a Core 2 Duo can experience lag writing a simple letter in MS Word.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]They should be focusing on reducing the footprint greatly by tightening up the code, and jettisoning useless bloat. For the most part the web is just pictures and text. There is no reason why any computer from the 90's shouldn't be able to navigate most of it smoothly. At least anything you can go to on an iPhone.Heck a 486 could even play back video CD's fine. Which is high enough quality for most online videos except the sparse HD content. On a 68040 Quadra 840AV you could edit video. Now a Core 2 Duo can experience lag writing a simple letter in MS Word.[/citation]

here is a great example from chrome
a pastebin, less than 100 lines of text, no flash or ads at all, both being blocked, 30mb
or how about this one
a forum, some text but mostly 150 sub 1mb images, 400mb to display

this is chrome, not firefox, but both need some serious code reworks, they use obscene amounts of ram for relitivly little content, chrome being far worse than ff, but most people dont use waterfox and 32bit ff tends to crap out around 1.5gb

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
damn, forgot to add this.

the only social things i would want in a browser would be a chat bar, possibly voice chat too, with other people on the same site. it could be fun to talk to people in real time about things. granted it would probably fail, but would be intresting none the less.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]thank goodness for pale moon! it's firefox done right and native 64-bit too![/citation]

And it crashes with the latest nVidia drivers :-|

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Ugh YASFIDAF (yet another stupid feature I didn't ask for). Although given the connectivity of humanities social graph, enabling publishing of links (ads) to a social network would basically enable ad-spamming the internet-connected universe.

I guess when someone accidently "Shares" their link to "Jurassic Poke" it will give their friends a good laugh.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Now a Core 2 Duo can experience lag writing a simple letter in MS Word.[/citation]

Sometimes MS Word or Notepad has several seconds of delay, on an i7 720qm (quad-core 1.6 GHz). Very irritating.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
i was always warned to not have "social" services involved in my life, especially if i had kids, lol,
well in this case, i dont use firefox, so not for me,

G

If the social things being added in are too invasive, or simply unable to be disabled, I will just stop using Firefox.

G

God damn just make it multithreaded and 64 bit on windows...

derleaf

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Feedback from the community: make a browser not a social network, and if you insist on adding bloat how about making it a plugin or make a separate "bloat" version.

Status
Not open for further replies.