First Firefox 5 Build Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon001

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
gecko engine has updated to 4.0 but orca still be 3.6 i wich that orca will uodate the gecko engine as soon as possible.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I don't really see the need to get version numbers up like that. There is nothing wrong in my book if FF 5 is called FF 4.1 or 4.02.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
So... We get slightly improved standards support, a few minor bugfixes and UI improvements and maybe minor tweaks to speed and security.

That's FF 4.02 or at most 4.1, not FF 5.0. Even Google numbers updates as minor as this one as a decimal number...

Oh well, it's the browser that matters, not the number or name.

Freiheit

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003
Chrome is at version 11 and looks and feels almost identical to version 3. In that light, Firefox 5, 6 and 7 all being released this year with only minor tweaks make perfect sense. On the other hand, why not just call it Firefox 17 and be done with it?

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Their thinking like microsoft here. The reason they went with xbox360 instead of PS3 is because they didn't want people to think it was a generation behind the PS3. It's all about the number superiority.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i got the Aurora version showing 5.0a2. is this the same one as FF5? Took a while to find it. i only have a couple of add-ons with FF4 but now they're both disabled. Only consolation is, it did not install over my old FF4 so i can choose between FF4 and Aurora.

adiposity

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]i got the Aurora version showing 5.0a2. is this the same one as FF5? Took a while to find it. i only have a couple of add-ons with FF4 but now they're both disabled. Only consolation is, it did not install over my old FF4 so i can choose between FF4 and Aurora.[/citation]

I think you mean "instead of xbox2."

adiposity

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
[citation][nom]derek2006[/nom]Their thinking like microsoft here. The reason they went with xbox360 instead of PS3 is because they didn't want people to think it was a generation behind the PS3. It's all about the number superiority.[/citation]

I think you mean "instead of xbox2."

Sorry for the wrong reply, can't get used to these reply button locations.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Freiheit[/nom]Chrome is at version 11 and looks and feels almost identical to version 3. In that light, Firefox 5, 6 and 7 all being released this year with only minor tweaks make perfect sense. On the other hand, why not just call it Firefox 17 and be done with it?[/citation]

Chrome 11 is only superficially different in UI design (further evidence of a minimalist, uncluttered browser interface's usefulness), but it received several massive overhauls at a deeper level:

- The addition of an extension API
- Several revamped/from scratch JS engines
- Several major boosts in standards compliance
- The addition of new features like cloud printing or syncing.

In short, pretty much everything changed dramatically since launch, save for the UI (the options menu and options menu were tweaked and they adopted a grey rather than blue theme, but that's minor).

Even though Google numbers faster than justified, they never upped Chrome's number without at least a major under-the-hood update or new feature. FF 5.0 on the other hand offers absolutely nothing other than bugfixes and small tweaks.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Firefox 5 features the following changes:
- 20,000 more lines of code of comments to make it look like they were doing something.
- Tab bar is now 21px in height, from 20px.
- Similarly, Panorama now features transparenty of 35%, changed from 36% on FF4.

I'd hate to see what "new features" will come in FF6...

Status
Not open for further replies.