First Programming Language to Learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECaarnage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I would like to learn a programming language as to get an idea of how interested I am in that area to see whether I would follow it carer wise. I am really not sure which programming language to learn first. This thread might be in the wrong place but feel free to move it if it is. Responses would be greatly appreciated :)

Solution

I agree: no easy answer, but if he/she chooses a language like Java tutorials exist plus it will be easy to get into industry. Do a language that is OOP not just procedural.

I think IT is very broad. You might consider database or server management etc. You can't really dip your feet in to all parts of IT. I...

SNA3

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

JAVA ...

AirTech

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
JAVA! You can then write code for android, linux and windows not only that plenty of tutorials exist. Try Bucky on thenewboston channel on youtube. He has loads plus Travis on there does android tutorials. I know your supposed to not be spoon fed but you are when your a baby before you use your own fork.

Choose JAVA because so many tutorials exist and common errors on Google. I did i know intermediate level. Also torrents exist. My opinion for career-wise Java can be used in applets for web development too. It is supposed to be similar to C# which is used by companies running windows might need to know AD etc.

I lack programming experience (not a pro) but employers look for more than one language. I am also intermediate level PHP.

If i was you and i was starting again I would do java and be very familiar with API then diversify. Possibly look for an apprenticeship, they pay little to begin with but get your foot in the door is more important than language, so if you enjoy it do that straight away! Would offer a better experience , it is not just the language you have to enjoy but the job role.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Your intentions are important in making this decision:

Are you planning on doing this professionally? Sign up for a college course. They'll focus a lot on programming concepts, which will be crucial in developing your ability to program. Once you have a solid understanding of concepts, then the language won't matter as much.

Are you planning on doing this for fun? If so, what do you want to do? Having a goal is important so that you can pick the language that will best suit your needs and people can suggest resources.

I see that you are tempting the idea of doing it professionally, think of something that you want to create, or a problem you want to solve, then people can suggest the correct tool for the job. I do a little programming for fun. My first project was a simple calculator that calculates production rates of some machinery that I automate. It needed to run on Windows, so I started with VB.NET. I like to use Linux at home so later I made the same thing in Python. And a few weeks ago people in my department thought it would be cool to have it in an Android app, so I started learning Java and recently converted it over to Android.

ECaarnage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

I am an IT enthusiast. I know that I want to go into the IT career. I am just trying to dip my feet in all areas to see what i'm interested in. Programming seems interesting to me and opens up a lot of opportunities. I am still in high school. Just trying to narrow down my choices in IT.

thanksforthefish87

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

I'd suggest asking a question like this one a website called
"Stack Overflow" It's a forums website for programmers. You'll get more in depth answers.

Ijack

Distinguished

You are getting mixed opinions because there is no simple answer. You really need to do a bit of research, try your hand at a few languages, and see which suits you and what you want to do. No-one else can make that decision for you.

But, if you want a good grounding in general programming then start with a simple but powerful language. Pascal.

thanksforthefish87

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Definitely research, typically find a small project that you are interested in an then research what language would be best for that.

For example, if you want to make web apps, a scripting language would be a good choice. Such as JavaScript.

Personally, I chose to learn C++, it is a large language that may seems daunting at first, but an advantage of a language such as this is that you'll learn many programming concepts, as well as have a better understanding of what exactly the computer is doing
at the hardware level due to C++ being "closer to the metal" than most other languages.

AirTech

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

I agree: no easy answer, but if he/she chooses a language like Java tutorials exist plus it will be easy to get into industry. Do a language that is OOP not just procedural.

I think IT is very broad. You might consider database or server management etc. You can't really dip your feet in to all parts of IT. I am lucky my job lets me do a bit of everything for a medium sized business. I am a little ADD I like to switch from task-to-task and my mind never shuts off, it is stress but pure pleasure doing lots of different stimulating things.

How far you want to go up the ladder is also a consideration. My job wont lead to mega money, but i'll enjoy it (IT Directors might need Project management skills). Can you deal with people saying "fix me" and your good with troubleshooting support a network. CCNA Compti A+ tutorials could be looked at. I have downloaded lots of tutorials ahead of time. Sample CBT Nugget tutorials can be found on Youtube.

I am sure if you asked a sole trader (your likely to get contact with the owner) that fixes PC's, they might let you hang around for a day to see what it is like, maybe doing a couple of hours a week? If your an enthusiast and have some skills he will appreciate it.

Solution

AirTech

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Yes, experience is good to gain by joining a project. I just got the OK from my Boss to Open Source a project I want to set up for a database that will be using forms to Manage IT Assets have a read if it will interest you:
<a href="http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1760469/oss-project-access.html">DB Project </a>. It will hopefully attract people to join.

AirTech

Status
Not open for further replies.