First Quad Core Laptop Now Available!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
My facts are straight.
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31559202.pdf
If you get the extreme QX6700 and push the voltage up to 130watts, you can get a max temp of 64.5 degres Celcius.

The Core2Duo mobile technical sheets have them at 100 degrees Celcius..

Just look through the data sheets published by Intel.... all the information you need to know is in those pdf's and there are a ton of them.

edit: Just to head it off... The maxium temps are recommendations. Like clock timings, some can take more heat, some can't before going terminal. But you won't know your cpu's absolute maximum until you fry it because to exceed those rated temps, you'll have to by pass the protection programming that would of otherwise shut you down.

My original point was that the mobile processors are more capable of dealing with heat (a big problem in notebooks) than desktop cpu's. It can be done, but I'd rather have the elaborate cooling and the mobile cpu.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
My point exactly... I just put a wee bit more sarcasm on it.
really :lol: ... I just went through 4 pages of the temp arguements over at overclock.net. Damn desktop users calling me retarded for going over 60 degrees. Didn't matter that I linked Intel's tech docs or even posted a TAT run @ stock timings showing 81 degrees. Did they think we should underclock our rigs to get below their desktop limitations?

For grins: TAT 100% run with stock
tempsstock.jpg

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What your problem is killernotebook your not looking at a website that talking about it. You seem to be one sided. I rather Beleave Andrew from Notebookreview then you. Why he doing his Research. All your doing is Bashing. It seems when a laptop is faster then anything you sell you get upset. Then you bash anyone that disagrees with you.

I would love you post on Notebookreview and post your views. I wonder what people will tell you.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Chief, his source is a Sager distributor that doesn't even build the notebooks!

It is distributed by the EXACT same 1st tier distributor that I use, and IF you could READ, which after this exchange I can see you obviously can't...
I will carry the machine IF after my testing it freaking works and isn't just an albatross on my customers!

You talk about quoting Wikipedia, then you quote an individual post on NotebookReview... how is that not the exact same thing! I'd also like to add, this is the same source that said up and down the thing would have dual 8800 GTX cards, and I said it wouldn't! Now you see that it has 7950 GTX cards LIKE I SAID! So maybe you should take a tally of who knows WTF they are talking about before you lose any last bit of credability you may still have.

So again, after all your impotent anger, you still don't know what you're talking about.
You sure can change the subject enough times though. Sheesh, let it go!
You are completely grasping at straws right now.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well at least at notebookreview they research. If there wrong they fix it.

I think you need stop acting like a baby and have your diapers change.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
That is funny coming from the guy who has been proven wrong this whole post and can't face it.

I only posted 5 different links of research for you so you wouldn't have to lift a finger to do your homework, yet you want to argue with INTEL's OWN WHITEPAPERS ON THEIR OWN PRODUCTS! You want to you want to quote sources that have been proven wrong.

Why don't you ask the "all knowing source" over there what he's going to do about all the systems he pre-sold saying they were going to have 8800 GTX cards, when they are going to be released 7950 GTX's in there? That's quite a difference isn't it? He was wrong... How did he "fix that" While you're at it, ask him the 965 chipset revision the machine has, because the data sheet simply states 965 chipset, not exactly enough to go on to claim quad-core support.

Why would a reader of these posts take the word of anyone who is pre-selling a computer they have simply a spec-sheet on? The guys pre-selling are never going to touch or see that machine because THEY DON'T BUILD THEM! You can do that, that's fine. All I am saying is I happen to know what I am doing since... I AM DOING IT, and since I actually stand behind my product I am going to tell you straight and NOT pre-sell anything with this kind of a history!

I can't go back and forth with you anymore Atol because you are just wasting my time. You have NEVER at ANY TIME answered or addressed one of my points, and when faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary of what you are saying you simply change the subject to something irrelevant to the topic.

My entire post revolves around the point that you can weld a rocket engine on a tricycle, but that doesn't make it a good choice to put your butt on the seat! By all means Atol, pre-buy that notebook... oh yea, you aren't even getting this notebook! You are arguing just to try to prove someone wrong.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

I think you need stop acting like a baby and have your diapers change.
Atol, I think you need to re-evaluate; near as I can tell, you are a troll. Your facts are forum post. You argue against published Intel tech specs. You change subjects instead of admitting you were wrong.

I read that long forum post over there. It seems like a few people kinda know some things, but most of it is simply based on a quick spec. They admittedly state that they are best guessing. All anyone knows is Clevo is putting out a new rig that uses SLi and Intel desktop cpus and chipsets.

There haven't been any published test. One of the posters "in the know" stated it wouldn't work with Quadcore. They've said it won't ship with a 8800. All in all, no one really knows what this machine is about... but that won't stop them from pre-sales :roll: It also scares me that they are going to be the "tech support", and don't even know to much about it.

Mark @ Killernotebooks isn't selling the "well Clevo told me it'd work" (and ignoring that even they are changing the specs a few weeks before release). Also keep in mind that if Clevo is going to hit the April/May mark, this rig is already being produced; but they don't have hard specs. Something doesn't sound right. Mark's holding off until he makes sure he won't pass a pos onto his customers. He's asking questions that can't be answered from a quick spec. He earns my respect because he won't sell what he doesn't fully know.... You on the other hand Atol, are trusting guys who will just sell you something they saw a spec sheet on. None of them have even layed their hands on this rig.

I'm with Mark on this one.. let's just wait and see how it test before getting all wet and bothered.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Mark @ Killernotebooks isn't selling the "well Clevo told me it'd work" (and ignoring that even they are changing the specs a few weeks before release). Also keep in mind that if Clevo is going to hit the April/May mark, this rig is already being produced; but they don't have hard specs. Something doesn't sound right. Mark's holding off until he makes sure he won't pass a pos onto his customers. He's asking questions that can't be answered from a quick spec. He earns my respect because he won't sell what he doesn't fully know.... You on the other hand Atol, are trusting guys who will just sell you something they saw a spec sheet on. None of them have even layed their hands on this rig.

I'm with Mark on this one.. let's just wait and see how it test before getting all wet and bothered.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. The hype that this product has generated with its wild performance claims, dubious marketing, incomplete specifications and lack of availability raises a lot of yellow flags. But as impressive as the previous Clevo 900 models may have been, we still shouldn't assume that a newer replacement will be the same or better, especially when you acknowledge the fact that nobody has yet to even see a working unit or determine its ultimate capabilities.

If you see the pictures of it on the Sager website, you'll notice the two GPU cards, the area where the CPU is supposedly located, the 3 hard drives and the optical drive. But you'll also notice space for what appears to be a second optical drive located on the other side, an option that I have yet to see any vendor offer. Squeezing all of that into a 17" form-factor would indeed be an amazing achievement in itself, let alone support a fire-breathing quad-core processor.

EDIT - The space I am referring to above is not a second optical drive bay but the BATTERY COMPARTMENT. :oops: :oops: :oops: My bad!

If it can handle a quad-core, that's great! If not, then Penryn will be only less than a year down the road - I'll wait that little bit longer.

KN - I will be very interested to read your feedback on this baby when it arrives. Its too bad the trolls have made this discussion go so off-topic. Don't let them ruin your day!

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
How's the quad core colossus build going?

I am designing and fab'ing a case for an ATX serverboard that is (hopefully coming in at) 12"x12"x9" (down from 15"x15'x9" for an Ex-ATX board) that will have dual quad core XEON's and 6 memory slots with a 8800 GTX 768 MB right now.

The case fan on it is an industrial 300 CFM fan that blows straight through the dual heatsinks of the CPU's the memory and a 8800 GTX reverse 6 heatpipe cooler right out the back!

When you step out of the shower it can blow you dry like one of those hand dryers in the bathroom.

If you need Opteron Server chips or XEON server chips let me know as I have them for a song.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
JasumX it has:
(2) 5320 XEON Quad Cores (@15 Ghz processing power)
(2) Dynatron heatsinks & fans.
(2) 10,000 rpm Raptors in a RAID0 array for program and OS
(2) 400 Gig 7,200 rpm (I believe with 16 MB cache) for data/media etc.
(4) 1 GB FB-RAM chips (6 total slots)
(1) 8800 GTX 768 MB with special cooling (stock cooling completely removed)
(1) SoundBlaster Audigy x (I have to look what revision)
(1) Lightscribe DL DVD
(1) 650 watt Antec PS
(1) Oringinally I got a ThermalTake Shark all aluminum case but designed & manufactured a custom mini-case for it (which is almost done).

To say the thing is fast is an understatement. I haven't found anything to even come close to testing the ballz this thing has.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
(Not) the first hyped up flop!
You know, you hear allot of things from these distributors puppets like, "We are the same as Killer Notebooks.", and "We will have 8800 graphics cards out by MAY '07", and "We will have quad core laptops in MAY '07".

This so called Quad Core 8800 GTX system is actually a 7950 GTX, and a Core 2 Extreme (Not Quad Core). Wow! How did those "pre-orders go?

How do you, as a customer feel when you get called up (or maybe just receive) a system that isn't anything like you were told it would be?

Seriously, consider who you are going to buy from, because these are going to be the companies that either stay in business or go out of business tomorrow.

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
What sets this machine apart from everything else is that it contains a system board based on the Santa Rosa platform and is capable of using desktop Intel "Conroe" processors, including Quad Core.

Using the lower-voltage Conroe processors has increased battery time a good 2 hours compared to the previous high-end Clevo-based models that used FX-60/P4 processors.

First, I doubt this laptop is using santa rosa platform.
As KillerNoteBooks stated, this thing will take way too much power!
That much power means much more hea... Where is this heat gonna go? this small chasis is stacked with hdds, dual gpu, desktop parts (more heat, more juice). Doesnt that sound a little unreliable?

U'd better buy a desktop with a nice portable case than get that kind of laptop.

If ure looking for a laptop, you can get something very nice with the new Centrino pro platform (Santa rosa). E7500 + Geforce 8 + 4GB memory + 7200 rpm hdd + 1GB Flash memory + wireless N... about 2500 - 3000$

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well, now that you mention it, Santa Rosa is something a little different.
It was designed for the mobile platform, mobile sockets etc.
This is a desktop chip, in the 965 chipset family.

I should be getting one of these next week to test out to see if it will truely work with a quad-core or not.

What I am thinking is that a quad core and 2 GPUs will generate too much heat. Maybe 1 GPU and a quad core will be a sweet spot with a custom CPU & GPU cooler. I believe their thinking is to use this chassis with the 8800 cards when they are released in 4Q this year. If that is the case, then a single 8800 card will be more than enough (and will probably need additional cooling).

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Wanted to update this thread:

Eurocom is now offering configurations with Q6600 and Q6700 quad-cores. I guess this answers all the rumors that were flying around these many months. They seem to, however, be using the newer G0 stepping Intel chips which come in at 95W. This is certainly a lot more doable than with the 120W B3 chips Intel initially made available.

Also, Eurocom offers the 8700GT on this notebook in SLI, a first. Not sure if performance is any better than 7950.

Curiously, they don't have the blu-ray option right now. Seems whoever is manufacturing those slim blu-ray drives is not meeting demand... or sending them all to Dell :fou:

Now it's time for Sager and all the other "shops" to catch on.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Well I'm not surprised Eurocom is the first, they're usually the first to market with such truly niche products. Alot of them pre-announce, but most often Eurocom is the first to ship.

It'll be interesting to see the performance of GF8700GT-SLi, but I'm sure any early review will put it with the Quad-Core and not the old dual cores so it may be a while before we have head to head for older graphics solutions.

However, looks like a nice portable gaming or editing rig.

PS, here's a direct link to their page for the D900C Phantom with QC and SLi;
http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,188,0)

PS, Personally I wouldn't bother with an integrated BLuRay, when for about as much you can have and external drive you can migrate to your next laptop, or use on your desktop, etc.
I was considering adding one to a Fujitsu, but it doesn't make sense even at less than $500.

Hypersonic Aviator = Clevo D901C = Eurocom D901C = Sager NP something (can't remember) = K|N Odachi = XoticPC = discountlaptops.com = etc. .

No one needs to catch on since they are all the same thing.