fishing for an answer about data access

masterblaster1

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
..tho i feel like im not formulating the question properly and fishing for the answer is frustrating ,it would be helpful to ask despite my embarrassment...so.... one more dumb question about data...what does "enable data access over mobile network "mean? and is my phones security/my privacy compromised more (or less)in either disabled or enabled state?thank you for helping the uninformed and quite lost person that wants to learn and find his way!l

Solution
It more than just for updates. There is a setting for updates only over WiFi, but this one is for overall data use. If you turn that option off, you can't get email, web or app downloads unless you are on wifi. It's basically a setting made to keep your data use down unless you need it.

It is technically more secure having it off (just like unplugging your computer from the internet is a lot safer for it), but you'll have to offset that with the fact that you'll just be able to use phone and texting without the data connection. GPS may still work though, I think that connection can start with the data service off.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Enabling it means your phone will use its data plan for updates. If you disable it, your updates will only fire when you are on a WiFi network(to avoid data usage against your plan)

It more than just for updates. There is a setting for updates only over WiFi, but this one is for overall data use. If you turn that option off, you can't get email, web or app downloads unless you are on wifi. It's basically a setting made to keep your data use down unless you need it.

It is technically more secure having it off (just like unplugging your computer from the internet is a lot safer for it), but you'll have to offset that with the fact that you'll just be able to use phone and texting without the data connection. GPS may still work though, I think that connection can start with the data service off.

Solution