Five Charged in Teen Selling Kidney to Buy Apple Products

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]how is this intentinal injury when the boy sold his body part willingly...no one forced him[/citation]
Perhaps the fact that they did this to a minor. His parents were unaware of this surgery. You can't perform surgery on a minor just because his gives you permission.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]gilgamex[/nom]This is a really really old article, that was posted on Tom's before lolz[/citation]
You may be referring to the original article about the boy selling his kidney which happened a year ago. This article is about the charges being brought against the perpetrators. This information was only released by the Xinhua News Agency on Friday April 6th of this year.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]stevo777[/nom]Because you're an expert on Chinese law? Any proof of your claims?[/citation]
Commercial trading in human organs is strictly banned in China. Anyone who solicits others to sell human organs will get a minimum of five years in jail and a fine. In "serious situations," the jail term could be more than five years with a fine or property confiscation. Harvesting organs from people younger than 18 is specifically forbidden.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Can you imagine the surprise that the kid got, when he bought the products, then went home, switched them on and realised that to actually use them you need to have a computer with iTunes installed!!!

"oh dear lord, here goes the other kidney too!..."

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Max Collodi[/nom]Perhaps the fact that they did this to a minor. His parents were unaware of this surgery. You can't perform surgery on a minor just because his gives you permission.[/citation]
17 is almost an adult....hmmm, you really think that the kid did not know what he was doing and doing it out of free will?.......he definitely knew what was going on and i am sure that he wanted to do it just to be able to purchase those apple products...poor people will do a lot of things just to be able to secure a meal, now we are talking a lot of money since he did not have anything....remember he and his family are very, very poor

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]17 is almost an adult....hmmm, you really think that the kid did not know what he was doing and doing it out of free will?.......he definitely knew what was going on and i am sure that he wanted to do it just to be able to purchase those apple products...poor people will do a lot of things just to be able to secure a meal, now we are talking a lot of money since he did not have anything....remember he and his family are very, very poor[/citation]

He is 17 now. He probably wasn't 17 yet when the surgery was done last year.

testerguy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
[citation][nom]darkguset[/nom]Can you imagine the surprise that the kid got, when he bought the products, then went home, switched them on and realised that to actually use them you need to have a computer with iTunes installed!!!"oh dear lord, here goes the other kidney too!..."[/citation]

Why do some people still think that you need iTunes to use an iPhone or an iPad? You're so out of touch it's ridiculous.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
if i could sell my organs, i would sell my kidney, a lung and part of my liver, but only for black market prices, i would never accept 3500$ for something worth close to 60000$, my lung would be 500k up to 1 mill, and liver would be 300k up to 600k. kidney would be about 100k.

as i will never in my live make 900k-1.7 million in spending money, i would gladly gamble my life for the possibility of 17 years of my life being paid for at a rate of 100k a year, or getting in on an investment opertunity that would net me 5-10 times the amount i have on hand.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]testerguy[/nom]Why do some people still think that you need iTunes to use an iPhone or an iPad? You're so out of touch it's ridiculous.[/citation]

also why do you think apple computer sales have picked up? basically because people think it would be a better computer to work with all the crapple gear they bought

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I think that that is more important than a kidney, especially for a teenager going through puberty and adulthood within the next few years.[/citation]
I thought teenage pregnancy was a problem?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I guess it's all relative. That $3500 is probably more than a year's wages for a child living in a poor area in China. That would be the equivalent to ~$50,000 here. Still, I'd want at least $150k for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.