Flash Drive or External HDD for 4k TV?

j.chutlashvili

Estimable
Oct 25, 2017
Hello,
I have this question: Have 4k HDR TV at home and want to watch 4K content (have some 4k hdr movies (remux) in my PC) in my TV, but can't decide which one to use - USB flash drive or external HDD for it. If I will buy external HDD, store there some of 4k movies & then connect it to my TV, will it carry HDR & 4K content without problems? Should I go with flash drive option or external hdd? Just want be sure that nothing will be lost...

Solution
Check what format the TV requires the drive to be formatted. If it supports large enough files then it should work. The file type has to be compatible with the TV too. Try it with a sample file that can fit on a small flashdrive to make sure the TV will play the files in HDR. You may need to manually turn that on. Then you can use either type of drive..
If you plan on collecting these movies they should be backed up anyway so the larger capacity of an external HD would be useful.
Check what format the TV requires the drive to be formatted. If it supports large enough files then it should work. The file type has to be compatible with the TV too. Try it with a sample file that can fit on a small flashdrive to make sure the TV will play the files in HDR. You may need to manually turn that on. Then you can use either type of drive..
If you plan on collecting these movies they should be backed up anyway so the larger capacity of an external HD would be useful.

Solution