flash on screen, laptop not turning on

Lauw

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
hi,
I have a laptop where everything seems normal, i also checked the motherboard for corosion and such but didnt find anything strange.

when i press the power button i get a flash on the screen and the light of the power button turns on for a second. nothing happens afterwards.

does anyone knows what this might be...
if so is t repairable?

any help is welcome.

I thought about a dead bios battery but im not sure and wanted to hear what other people knew or thought about it first before i begin the surgery.

thanks

Lauw

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
voltage of the adapter is 250 set on 200. DCV
voltage which gets to the battery is 505 set on 200. DCV

i dont really know how to comprehend these numbers.

Lauw

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
yeah i thought this was weird also.
could it e that the multi meter is not functioning correctly. cause its rather old i believe.
or is the adapter malfunctioning?

the voltmeter shows a high lighted bat sign could this cause bad readings?

Lauw

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
okay, i`ll go get a different battery tomorrow and try again.

14/12 edit: forgot about the battery, tomorrow i have time to focus on this.

Lauw

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
okay i got the battery but it needs charging first. i hope its done in 3 hours.

20:40 edit: still charging.
22:20 edit: Okay i just read that it takes 16 hours to charge this little sucker. :)

I don't understand, you put a rechargeable battery in a voltmeter?

Lauw

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
yes whats the big deal?
i dont understand the problem here.
its a new one so i figured it should be okay.

and sorry i checked it by mistake as the best solution. its funny though.

what do you think will be best, an unchargeable battery from the year 2002 or a rechargeable battery from this year, fully charged for the first time?

so euh... hers the answer... adapter is 19 volt and the voltage getting to the battery is 3.30V.

Because an alkaline battery will last longer than a rechargeable battery. The rechargeable will have to be remove and charged each time it's too low for the voltmeter. And the alkaline, you install and forget it until you have a warning that the battery is too low for the voltmeter. This is my opinion, you can have a different opinion than mine.

Lauw

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
kay , well it`s giving me good readings now, so why care for the problem it might or might not give me in the future.
any way I did what was asked and the readings are 19V vor the adapter so thats working.
the battery gets 3.30V on 2 pins, the second and third when started counting from ground, ground not included.

Lauw

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015

Hi, I know there`s been some time between replies. I was follow a course during 2016 and didnt find the time to reply.
A few weeks ago I did a complete teardown again and I took a peak behind the black plastic cover on the back of the MB.
I saw there was a small area where all the chips were burned out. so guess thats why the screen was flashing and nothing happened.

I kept the screen and threw most of the parts away.
I also noticed during the teardown that there were more screws inside the medion laptop than decent chips. :D

Anyway thanks for the walkthrough.
greets