Flash videos (like youtube) do not play right / stuttering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smeezekitty

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I am not sure if this is exactly where to place this thread.

I am having problems with flash video playback recently. On many youtube videos,
it will play for 10-20 seconds and then the video and time counter will freeze and the audio will jump back 1-6 seconds. The video will resume as soon as the audio catches up to the point of freeze.

It will only happen one time per video but it starting to get annoying. Another thing is that videos and games are both stuttering where they used to be smooth.

I even tried yanking my GPU out and using the intel graphics just in case it was a GPU or driver problem but it still continued to do the same thing with the looped audio, video freeze and stuttering. I must say that the image quality between the GPU with DVI vs the onboard with VGA is like a night and day difference

Don't really know what to do at this point. Everything used to be pretty smooth and now its not.

Specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Mushkin 1066MHz 4 GB RAM (2 x 2)
Asrock G41M-S3
Corsair CX430
Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66GHz (stock)
AMD Radeon 6670 (stock)

Firefox 24.0
Flash player 11.9 (latest)

The same videos play through perfectly on my laptop

ideman

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I had the same problem for a few months now of video stuttering only in chrome, especially on facebook, and disabling hardware acceleration in the chorme advanced settings worked great and fixed the problem! Thank you!

helispot

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I did both of the suggestions provided - cleared the contents of C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash (I'm on Windows 7 64-bit) (yes, one file wouldn't delete)... plus I disabled Hardware Acceleration in the Advanced Settings for Chrome... and...

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

cwoldberg

Estimable
May 27, 2015
I've been having the stuttering problem described in this thread for the last few months and went through the exercise of changing out a high-end AMD card for an Nvidia card. That didn't help at all. So I wiped the machine and reinstalled Windows. That didn't help either. Very happy that I came across this thread. Disabling hardware acceleration in Adobe Flash completely resolved the problem.

sewing1243

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
I have a Dell XPS 8500 and a Dell XPS 8700 running Windows 8.1 and both have intermittent "stuttering" problems playing back videos (youtube, ect...). After much searching I found that the most likely cause is CPU DPC Latency, which in my Dells is apparently caused by the Wireless LAN adapter. I went to device manager and disabled the Wireless LAN adapter (I have a wired home LAN) and the problem seems to have disappeared (while I was at it I disabled the Bluetooth adapter also, don't have need for either). If you are using a Wireless LAN I'm not sure what the fix is (maybe disabling the LAN port:??: )

Status
Not open for further replies.