FM/XM Radio on my laptop?

Ryan Grobe

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
I have an ASUS laptop with an aluminum shell and I've had it for the past 6 months or so. Either it just started to do this or I've never noticed it, but my laptop is picking up what I can assume is either FM radio or XM satellite radio since it's Radio Disney. I can hear the station whether I am connected to the internet or not and I can only hear the signal when I am not touching my laptop or if there is no audio playing from the laptop itself. Granted I'm not irritated by it, I'm more so confused. In all my years of PC meddling I have never had an issue like this. It also seems to only be able to play through my SOL Republic Headphones and not the laptop speakers themselves.

Ryan Grobe

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
Other than my Logitech G930's I have two pairs of Apple earpods I can try...
Yes it plays through those as well, it seems to only effect my 3.5mm port but not USB.

Ryan Grobe

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
When the laptop is muted the signal is killed same as turned off. All of the cables are 3 feet long the only difference in them is age and features like volume control. My best guess is that the shell is amplifying the signal and that the audio jack is not shielded well enough. But I still find this weird as hell.