HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Hello,

Well, I'm brand spanking new to folding@home, although I've been doing a little reading about it over the last couple weeks. Now I've started to donate some computing time to team 40051. I'm not too sure the program is taking full advantage of my machine.

I've got a dual-core PD820 and a NVIDIA 6600 graphics card. From what I understand, the graphics card isn't supported by folding@home, simply because it's not powerful enough for the software guys to bother integrating. Fine, but the folding@home program uses only 50% of my CPU time. The load is balanced 1/3 and 2/3 across the two cores, and the total always comes out to 50% of the total available. Is this normal, or am I able to fix some setting that will make folding@home take full advantage of at least my CPU?

Any help is much appreciated. It all goes to team 40051.

Edit1: I've found some help at http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html#run.dual, although I haven't gotten it working quite yet.

Edit2: Okay, I've finally got two instances of F@H working on my computer. My problem was that I had been trying to run two graphical programs at the same time. What is necessary is to be sure that at least one version is text-only, and then run that version from the console. Example: "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home_Proc2\FOH504-Console.exe -config -local".

Although I stumbled through this process, I hope the clarification above will help others in a similar situation to save time. Cheers.