For $20K You Can Watch Theater Movies at Home

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
With the prices of popcorn nowadays... yeah, $500 ain't bad... invite about 5~10 friends and you watch the movie for a few days.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I wouldnt mind as long as they dont increase the price for regular dvds. Blu-rays for it. If someone can have a chiar and suit for an individual thearter experience for the accompanying of others then fine. If the money earned by someone to do so now has an option to be used for their choices of entertainment within some kind of legal means, still probably isnt much an issue. But of it though given that more of a use of such against or not on part of "normal" aspects of entertainment enjoyment and means of viewing make price increases of such, i dont know how that better suits the purpose. But as along as the entertainment is at least being found when not going to the theater and all and can be found else where, then there isnt much to say. To pay 5 dollars to a place thats not as well placed for veiwing entertainment against another i can for the same price or more or less, i dont know where the vote would be.

Of it though, there are thoses who dont go to the movies to say or as much, or have a own personal home theater setup either, by many means of course, given those do sell. Just probably not too a point of your own chair and suit for anyone watching. Techincally of course the difference are open but who knows.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]bob_white[/nom]Why not just buy out every seat in the theater[/citation]

Assuming it's a weekend movie, and I live in California so I'll use my local rates, that's $13 a seat, times appx 150 seats, that's only $1,950 per showing.

Your solution = no good.

G

2 $16 tickets are .00032% of a $100,000 year Income.
1 $500 ticket is .00032 of a $1,562,500 year income.

There are probably at least 250,000 people earning 1.5 million a year

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]shineon2010[/nom]This Spam is getting terrible! Please do something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/citation]

Here, here. I just counted at least 5 more spams, wasting yet more time and resource. How are these people take the piss like this. I don't mind an image verification check if it gets rid of this kind of abuse, it's getting ridiculous. Do people go on their sites and advertise Tom's? They wouldn't like it. It's so bloody annoying, this spam..really, really annoying.

erzhik

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
This is not for an average Joe. This service would be great for rich people (not even super rich). Chances are they already have private cinema's in their house with giant screen, this service is perfect. I seen people who spend $100k-$200k on home cinemas. If you make $30k/year, of course its not for you. But if you make $500k/year, this is perfect.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
easier solution:

step 1: buy a house with a basement
step 2: finish basement and install:
a) a projector
b) theater seating (3 leather reclining seats can be had for about $1000)
i. if more seating is needed you can install a platform that raises a back row of seats up 12"
c) 7.1 (or higher) surround sound
d) bluray player (or ps3)
e) sound proofing
f) ventilation
g) movie theater style popcorn maker (a small one can be bought for ~200 bucks)
Step 3: wait for 3 months for that hot new movie to come out on bluray and rent/download/buy it

Step 4: profit!

Total cost: $10,000 for your own theater... possibly less if you skip the sound proofing, leather seating, and popcorn maker.

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
screw both the theater and the $20K service. I wait a week or two for the movie to release in 720p Screener and download it and let my PC upconvert it overnight until Friday or Saturday Night. Then I turn on my 46" LED and watch it in near 1080p. Sure its not a true Blu-Ray but its damn close!

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Man I think back to the old days in college when I was an usher in a movie theater..... if only someone had offered me $500 bucks to come up to the theater AFTER it had closed to watch a private film......

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
I hate you people and hate watching movies with you. I would pay $20,000 to have you disappear. That's a lot cheaper than paying for a hit on each of you.

G

I think I'll go for this as a Christmas present - does it have a connector for my CRT TV?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]wait for 3 months for that hot new movie to come out on bluray and rent/download/buy it[/citation]

Your solution to getting movies immediately upon theatrical release is to not get movies immediately upon theatrical release?

Why not suggest that instead of getting the movies immediately upon theatrical release that they just not watch the movie at all? That would be even cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.