For alienware, R9 m290x crossfire or just 1 Gtx 980m

dropwater

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I just got the R9 m290x crossfire from my friend, but then I am keep thinking which graphic will be better, the Gtx 980m or 2 m290x from Amd.

the m290x is 18.4 inch screen and 980m will be 17 inch with 3D touchscreen

I doesn't care about the battery since it will be plugged in most of the game, I just want to know which graphic chips will have better graphic overall

I am not talking about the 3dmarks because those are useless once you are in the game.
I presonally prefer 980m because geforce always has better driver.

but I really want to listen to more advise. Thank you

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
The R9 M290X Crossfire is obviously better in terms of Power/Performance, but I too with be in the same dilemma as you since I am more familiar with Nvidia drivers and programs.

The GTX980M itself is a Very powerful and the highest end laptop GPU available, well other than the 980M SLI
I would say if you really want to stick to the nvidia interface go with the 980M you wont regret it
If you want a bit more power go with M290X you wont regret it either though you will be in a new interface you will get used to it!
Good Luck!
But i

Nuckles_56

Estimable
May 25, 2014
The other thing is that if you go with the dual cards, you are far more likely to have overheating problems with the cards and also other things like stuttering which happens with any dual GPU setup

dropwater

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

well i already get used to both UI for gefroce and ccc, Now i am using the m290x crossfire laptop but it seem not all the game support that cf, may be i just hate to use full window mode for gaming, but still, i enjoy the 18.4 inch screen haha, but i think i will still need to exchange it for geforce 980m, to be honest, I saw 980m run better on some games even compare to m290x cf , that is the reason i am struggling

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I would personally go with a single GTX980M to be honest because of issues nuckles_56 brought up SLI and Crossfire builds can have shuttering issues and things of that nature happen, I would honestly be scared to ever SLI or crossfire a Card in a desktop and also the overheating issues he also brought up could happen over the long run and if you really believe the 980M can run some games better than I'd say go for it, you wont regret it since the 9 series mobile's GPUs are getting closer to their desktop counterparts!