Former Bank of America Worker Stole from ATMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Oh Great, just great!

If something like that were to hit the ATM's here in the USA, then we'd all be screwed royally! :(

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Reminds me of Office Space!

Peter: Um, the 7-Eleven, right? You take a penny from the tray.
Joanna: From the crippled children?
Peter: No, that's the jar. I'm talking about the tray, the pennies for everybody.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]aje21[/nom]I hope that doesn't mean you can steal up to that amount without it being a crime![/citation]

I would imagine this is pertinent to the crime being classified as a misdemeanor or a felony offense.

/ianal

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Oh Great, just great!If something like that were to hit the ATM's here in the USA, then we'd all be screwed royally![/citation]
A Bank of America employee has been charged with computer fraud after installing malicious software on BofA ATMs

It did happen in the US...

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Great movie! - but didn't they steal the idea from one of the Superman films? :-D[/citation]

Now, now. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. We don't even have our jump to conclusions mat!

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
To those asking about the $5K - there's a limit below which the FBI won't waste their time (not sure if it's 5k or 2k) but obviously this guy was above it.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Great, I just opened an ATM account not too long ago. Time to close the account :( Stupid people. I don't like working either but damn if I go low enough to steel from other hard working peoples money!!

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I originally saw the headline as "Former Bank of America Worker Stole ATMs" and was thinking "how did he get away with that for any length of time?"

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Back in the late 80's, I worked as a programmer with ATMs and other ETF. It is easy for a programmer to put a backdoor into the ATM software. However, once it is discovered, it is equally easy to determine who did it, because software changes (and who was involved with them) are carefully tracked. However, I hope Caverly was indeed the culprit. A smart insider thief would first steal a co-worker's login and frame his co-worker as the culprit. But then he would need to hide his ill-gotten gains very carefully, else he could still be suspect. BofA is well aware of how little they pay their programmers. :)

Also, it almost has to be an insider. The tech services building will have 10 times the security a branch office has, even though their isn't a penny of cash kept there. Where I worked, you couldn't even get in the parking lot without swiping your ID card and then being buzzed in by security who ID'd you from remote cameras. Then you had to swipe and get buzzed into the building by security. Then you had to swipe to move around inside the building. Your ID card only let you into the hallways you were allowed in. I think you could sneak into the White House easier than into a bank's computer room. The ATMs are not connected to the Internet. It would take some serious Mission Impossible stuff for an outsider to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.