Former MS VP Speculates on Windows Phone's Slow Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The main problem is that Windows adopts way too slowly. It (still!) supports only single-core CPUs and that won't change till Q4/12. At that time, though, we'll talking quad-cores, not even dual-cores anymore. Also, the tile design doesn't look overly appealing to me. Tiles waste so much space and in contrast to widgets can't even be used to control an app. Apart from that, I'm extremely happy with the overall rather consistent design of the OS. Also the browser for once seems to be superior to Android and iOS.

G

Again this shows MS's lack of leadership and vision at the top. MS is not Apple, MS success is based on it's "open" approach (and I used Open here loosely). MS can't copy the Apple model, cause the Windows Hardware ecosystem is not controller by MS. In this case MS would be better of following the Google approach for Android here; unless they follow my suggestion and ONLY offer WP through one platform on the Nokia hardware - similar to the Apple model. Controlling the HW and SW does work; MS did it on the the XBOX platform, and can be do it by limiting the WP platform to the Nokia HW.

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Mazze[/nom]The main problem is that Windows adopts way too slowly. It (still!) supports only single-core CPUs and that won't change till Q4/12. At that time, though, we'll talking quad-cores, not even dual-cores anymore. etc.[/citation]

Rubbish.... I really don't care about cpu, gpu etc. All I care for is if the phone does what I want when I want it. I want to be able to store my pics and music and I want good battery life. If they use a decacore cpu at 10 Ghz, or a single core at 500 Mhz, I don't care, just give me a phone that works.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Difference from Apple is that Apple doesn't have to face the manufacturer issue... As for the carrier issue, this is a result of a stupid US system. In normal countries, carriers don't touch the phone. You buy SIM and the phone separately and everything is unlocked from the start.

Now, can someone explain me how's WP ""superior"" to Android? :D MS keeps saying that, but so far I haven't seen any proof...

Although, really, gimme any OS that can make full use of phone's hardware and that's all I care about :)

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
To Microsoft's defense, Apple uses an even stricter closed system, creating just one iPhone model at a time (it doesn't even license out iOS). So far the company seems to be doing just fine. Maybe Windows Phone just needs time to mature?

It's because Apple has a fanatic customer base and M$ has none.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
"imposed strict hardware and software restrictions" Again Microbloat is trying to copy Apple and failing with inferior crap.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Agges[/nom]And how is this different than what Apple did and does?[/citation]
Apple makes it's own hardware. MS is trying to dictate to other companies what they should do. Big Difference.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]sissysue[/nom]Apple makes it's own hardware. MS is trying to dictate to other companies what they should do. Big Difference.[/citation]
Huh? Not quite... even Google has specifications on WHAT has to be on an Android phone (home, back, menu buttons). MS put out minimal specifications to be an MS Phone maker... and those stats are currently below was is found on most phones.

Android phones have 4 main buttons, on screen or hardware... Personally, I'd PREFER actual PHYSICAL buttons for the HOME, back buttons. Menu & Search are not as important.

MS stats 3 main menu buttons and a dedicated camera shutter button... which would be very handy and better than pressing on the touch screen, Make more sense than on Android in which the power button becomes a LOCK button... which is stupid.

And as stated, to not allow the mobile OS to become the fragmented mess that is Android.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I kindof like that MS isn't allowing carriers or manufacturers to customize the OS the way they want it. It keeps it the same, although it may make it harder for man. to differentiate their model to the public.

gunbust3r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
The problem is that the stores cram the single WP7 handset over by a moldering Blackberry and have employees that actively discourage the consumer to purchase one.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Mazze[/nom]~~Also, the tile design doesn't look overly appealing to me. Tiles waste so much space and in contrast to widgets can't even be used to control an app. Apart from that, I'm extremely happy with the overall rather consistent design of the OS.[/citation]
Try using WP7... Since I got my Samsung Android phone over a year ago, its obvious that its basic functions is a copy from iOS... same icon layout... that's about it.

On my main screen, I only kept the basic icons there (locked bottom row) + 3-4 others... why? because you have to aim more for the right button to push. Sometimes pressing the wrong on. Or the phone doesn't register the press because again, tiny buttons.

Then with ICE CREAM, Android now shoves 5 buttons into its main row! Like as if the buttons weren't small enough before!?

So, go to the Android Market and download the free WP7 Launcher. It gives you the WP7 look and feel (not exactly of course) and some of the functionality of WP7. *I* LOVE IT.
First time I ever enjoyed my Samsung phone is replacing the default launcher with WP7. The buttons are a lot bigger, they TELL you something (I know how many calls I missed, how many messages are waiting). I use blue as my default color, but you can custom color any button) - so my Dialer button/tile is green. My messaging button is off blue. My Alarm tile shows the time. I can arrange the tiles any way I want.

There are no SCREENs to remember... is that APP on screen 4 or 5 as it is with Android. With WP7 Launcher, I scroll down a bit to the hidden ones, where I put them.

Then the quick click to ALL APPs is there all the time. Everything in Alphabetical order. And the cool thing with WP7 Launcher, I can remove the carrier apps off the main list (doesn't remove them, of course..., ugh) but are still accessible under Filtered Apps.

Google SHOULD have made their own interface... maybe a 3x4 "tile" setup (3 across)... something that is different from Apple and MS.

I want the phone to work well as a phone first. Games and playing music are secondary and only suck up battery life... which kills the phone functionality.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Difference from Apple is that Apple doesn't have to face the manufacturer issue... Now, can someone explain me how's WP ""superior"" to Android? MS keeps saying that, but so far I haven't seen any proof...[/citation]
The interface. For the most part, Android works like iOS when it comes to the launcher.
Refer to my statement above. Its more different than "superior" - but I like it better than Android... and so do many other WP7 users.

Next year when my contract renews (free phone), I'm more than ready to ditch my Android for a WP7/8 phone.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Oh.... Amk-aka-Phantom: Just download the WP7 launcher for your Android phone and try it for a week. Its easy enough to uninstall or turn off.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Here's a tip for Microsoft, don't call your phone "Windows Phone 7". Its a terrible name.

Apple: iPhone
Google: Android
RIM: Blackberry

Keep it simple Microsoft, its the one thing that you've never been good at as a company!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Agges[/nom]And how is this different than what Apple did and does?[/citation]
Very different. MS does not provide the hardware and the marketing. They are not providing the complete solution while at the same time trying to dictate terms. Apple provides everything, hardware software, application store, support and the marketing. All the carrier has to do is say they have the phone. How many times have you seen a IPhone specific commercial from a carrier? All that stuff costs money.

In Microsoft's defense though, they have to be able to define hardware requirements to make sure that the OS performs the way they intend it but their is a limit to what you can demand if your OS does not have mind share. It looks like a nice OS though and I would not mind using it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Oh.... Amk-aka-Phantom: Just download the WP7 launcher for your Android phone and try it for a week. Its easy enough to uninstall or turn off.[/citation]

Okay, I'll try that! Though, I don't have any problems with tiny icons or them not telling me about missed calls... I don't use my Android device as a phone :D Too fragile, too complex... :D I have an old Nokia for that, it's perfect. I use it as a Skype phone and mp3 player, mostly Though I am annoyed that no modern device can play tracks by simply their order in the folder... has to be by album, artist or genre or playlist... I hate that.

Keep it simple Microsoft, its the one thing that you've never been good at as a company!

Get some brains, customers. That's one thing you were always missing. - fixed

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Too bad that Android's lax rules have created android-haters out of two of my family that got a particularly bad-performing Samsung Transform that runs like molasses, crashes constantly, and cant run the majority of the android market apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.