FOX: Repeat File Sharers Should Have Internet Cut

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Numerous studies that show filesharers buy more music. If any of that is bought online then disconnecting them will simply cut off sales. Sure you might pick up a couple of CD sales, but how many online sales will you lose?

In the case of movies, maybe they would like to go back to the good old days before the internet when they made more money out of bad movies due to the fact it took more than 5secs for the word to spread about how bad it was. Works in reverse for a good movie though. Can also say goodbye to your cheap viral marketing.

Definitely works in favour of large studios/labels since without the internet you still hear about their heavily promoted material. Without the internet it is a lot harder to stumble onto or hear about more obscure movies/music.

sylvia648

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This country is garbage. It's ruled by large companies and religious nut jobs, and often times large companies with religious nut jobs that think they are doing "God's work" by screwing people out of a job and tossing their asses in the street. It's the only good thing about this country and that is I can still say it blows, but soon that might be taken away if another republican fuck nut gets in. Safe for four years, but who knows how dumb the country can get in another four.

intesx

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I'm always intrigued by people who say "If they weren't gouging us, we wouldn't pirate." Or saying that movies and music are so over-priced... Look at the 80's and early 90's and your argument doesn't stack up... people paid for music back them because it was the only way to get it... people only pirate music now because they don't WANT to pay for it. It has nothing to do with their ability to pay for it. I'm not saying that the prices for some of the horrible movies and bad music aren't ridiculous but the prices really aren't any higher these days... in fact when factoring in inflation, they're probably lower. Give people a means to steal and they will... that's all it comes down to.

I'm not implying that I'm innocent, but I am realistic.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Want to make money ? stop making crap movies .. Want to make even more money ? Release the classics .. I keep on telling these movie companies. With the crap they have been releasing lately they should be flattered we would even waste the bandwidth to download such crap!

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Most people who pirate are also some of the best customers. We pirate because we have spent so much on crap that you released.

You want me to stop copying? Fair enough. I will stop copying now. I will also stop Purchasing any blurays, or DVDs.

I am looking at 17 blu Ray discs right now that I have bought in the last 3 months. I also have around 200 Movies that I have purchased.

I don't need your movies, I will find entertainment elsewhere. Thanks for saving me money, and helping me find more productive ways to spend my time.

RIAA, MPAA, you win. Congratulations, you have lost a customer.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Darknova_[/nom]some consumers may be in the wrong for pirating the industry except the induestry is also in the wrong for not listening to consumers[/citation]
Someone give this man a cookie!

While filesharers may be commiting inmoral acts, who the hell can afford some of this stuff coming out? Look at the PSP, downloands via PSN are more expensive than UMDs, and games that are offered cross platofrm (on iPhone and PSP), and insanely more expensive on the PSP. The PSP has no open community at all...

These companies are at fault of their own at the same time.
Charge what the market will bear, right?

G

if you cut of my internet,i will still share movies ,music,games and everything else, i just take out my hard drive and go visit a few friends to see what they have that i donn't, and what I have and they don't, old fashion sharing.And that's a lot easier now that we have large size usb sticks and external hard dries.

G

if you cut of my internet,i will still share movies ,music,games and everything else, i just take out my hard drive and go visit a few friends to see what they have that i donn't, and what I have and they don't, old fashion sharing.And that's a lot easier now that we have large size usb sticks and external hard dries.

D2ModPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Another comment. And here I thought I was done. :)

Somebody above said people who steal from stores are banned from those stores. Well I thought that was funny, though I'm sure it wasn't intended to be. If you steal from stores, no matter how much and how often you've done it, you still need to shop at stores later to survive. It doesn't matter if your a repeat offender or not!

You steal from the internet. Your ISP shuts you down. But you still need the internet to survive right?

You steal food and are no longer allowed to shop for food to survive. Guess that makes him a thief for life since he no longer has a choice in the matter right? Simply because nobody will let him buy it legitimately any longer. So to stop file sharing you have to cure world hunger, then maybe people will listen. :)

Keep talking guys, maybe the movie industry will get the wax out of their ears and actually listen for once.

G

"As someone says in another thread, a large part of the problem is that many people who download pirated material can't pay for the material they're downloading, and therefore the argument about lost revenue is moot, since they would never be paying customers in the first place."

"Numerous studies that show filesharers buy more music. If any of that is bought online then disconnecting them will simply cut off sales. Sure you might pick up a couple of CD sales, but how many online sales will you lose?"

So, which is it? I can't afford something, so it is OK to steal it (as I would not have bought it anyways), or If I steal something, I am more likely to buy it later?

If you can afford to pay for internet connectivity and a computer to connect to it, you can afford to pay $1.00 to rent from Red Box, or even $2.00 for any other rental company. Quit trying to justify it.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]D2ModPlayer[/nom]Another comment. And here I thought I was done. Somebody above said people who steal from stores are banned from those stores. Well I thought that was funny, though I'm sure it wasn't intended to be. If you steal from stores, no matter how much and how often you've done it, you still need to shop at stores later to survive. It doesn't matter if your a repeat offender or not!You steal from the internet. Your ISP shuts you down. But you still need the internet to survive right? [/citation]

You mean, you wouldn't be able to survive without the internet? Are you really stating the internet is just as essential as food to survive?!

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]o0RaidR0o[/nom]Umm!, I didn't see Twilight in the theater, I shared it, and yet it made Domestic Total Gross: $192,769,854, and $192,227,954, for a total of $384,997,808. Not counting rentals, dvd sales, and residuals. Hmmm!, maybe I should share more just to help the studios out.[/citation]

To be more concise here is a list of Fox releases I shared that still managed to make a profit:

Marley and Me - $242,717,113
Bride Wars - Production Budget: $30 million/grossed $114,663,461
The Day the Earth Stood Still - Production Budget: $80 million/grossed $230,831,978

No need to thank me Fox I'll continue to strive and do my part as long as you stay out of my way.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Repeatedly cancelling decent shows like Firefly should result in Fox CEOs' hands being cut off... one finger at a time.[/citation]
I second that!

G

Get yourself a good VPN service for about 10-15£ a month and download
without worries. Cheaper than buying overpriced material from Fox!!!!

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
All that's going to do is make people SELL more stolen property.... in which uncle sam will make less money because people aren't going to put that on their W2. It'll never happen.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
FOX and other movie producers are within their right to charge whatever they believe the market will bare and those who cannot afford to buy it should accept that it's something that is out of their price range, just like a Lamborghini is out of most people's price range. So, they are in their right to demand that steps be taken to prevent people from stealing their product.

As to whether they should be able to ban the person from the internet, I think that allowing such a thing would be bad law. The reality is that the internet, while not their yet, will soon be an essential part of every developed countries infrastructure like electricity, gas, &c, with some access for emergency medical exams and other life savings services only being available there.

So, yes, they should be able to prosecute those who steal their product but, no, they should be able to ban the perp from net access, imo.

D2ModPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I've been busy with stuff and didn't see the question. So nobody will read this because it's old news.

Yes, the internet is as essential to survive as food at the store. You know what literacy is right? Computer literacy is not as important as knowing how to read. If you can't find information on the free internet and know everything that's going on it's like getting your arm chopped off. My PC is a tool just like my hands are. Without it I feel completely lost.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Fox, spend your dime and use the proper legal channels that are open to you to prosecute this on your own. Don't make us taxpayers pay for your problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS