Foxconn Allegedly Hid Underage Workers During Inspection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure these 16 and 17 year old kids applied for the job rather then Foxconn busting down doors and dragging little kids to go work in their factories.

It is known that people who live in poverty "grow-up" faster. Look at the history of any nation. For people who are saying "oh these kids should be getting an education, etc." If you have never lived in poverty, you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you really think these kids can sit down and read a book when their last meal was 2 days ago?

Why do you think China still gets money from other nations? Even though China itself is filthy rich, the general public of China still lives in 3rd world status. Once the middle-income society in China starts to boom and grow bigger they will fix their own problems. History repeats itself, it happens to any great nation that is on the rise.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I never understood the logic behind an announced inspection. Really if I am a business owner doing something shady and I know there is an inspection coming the next day I am gonna do my best to make sure everything is working to code for that day. An inspection like this that checks for working conditions should be completely random and unannounced, the inspectors should just show up with no warning at all and at random times to see what is really going on. Telling the companies that they are gonna be there on Tuesday at 2pm then 99 times out of 100 the inspection will be perfect since they will have prepared. Really if it was me I would set a date and time and then show up on a completely different day to get them when they are not looking :)

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Apple haters will only point fingers at Apple when this issue fall squarely on the Chinese Gov't that fails to uphold its Business Ethics policy agreement with US companies. Ridiculous. Its teh Chinese Gov't that doesn't care.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]txsouthpaw[/nom]That's incredibly insightful. Apathy is one of the key indicators of stupidity and arrogance. Go sit in a GOP debate audience where you belong.[/citation]

Wow, and so is yours.. Judging an entire political body, and their supporters, as trash. Nice one. The simple fact is.. It is China's problem. They out number us more than 3 to 1 over here. I'm not going to break my wallet trying to help them, when quite simply, there are much bigger problems over here that need to be addressed...and desperately. Fix the biggest problems first. For example.. Paying all my utilities, cell phone, internet, etc, ain't gonna do me a lick of good if in doing so I ignore paying my rent on time.

China has problems. I feel for them. However this society needs to stop screwing future generations of Americians via National Debt, and shady deals. I care about people, everywhere, however my family does now, and always will, come before my neighbor, and so on, to end with other people in different countries with different governments, that should be doing the same for them. Fix their damn government first. Everything else is a damn bandaid on a bullet wound.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
China is buying up vast amounts of gold. Very likely, within a year or two, they will announce that their currency, the yuan, will be backed by gold (the way the U.S. Dollar used to be). The dollar will lose its status as the world's reserve currency. US standard of living may very well get cut in half.
I am an American, but I don't blame the Chinese one little bit for this. We've got some very rough times again, but I believe it will spark a remarkable American resurgence, but one based on solid values and productivity, not greed, dishonesty, and game playing. I find it ironic that the expression "May you live in interesting times" is supposedly an ancient Chinese curse.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]This shouldn't just be targeted toward Apple, considering there are dozens of other companies that use foxconn and should also step up.I mean I wouldn't want to pay American workers to make an iPad, that thing would cost well over $1000[/citation]
true that theres alot of companies that use Foxconn, but most of the problems in Foxconn are coming from the Apple manufacturing branch. Apple being greedy as they are pay minimum to Foxconn, and Foxconn barely made profit, so they bought cheaper materials and cut back on maintenance. Apple demands for alot of devices to be made really fast and cheap, and foxconn can barely keep up with the demand, so they force overtime hours and hire kids to hurry up work. But Apple never slows down, instead they keep demanding more. Since apple barely pays much to foxconn, they were forced to try and make profit by buying cheaper stuff and some more toxic(but cheap) materials, hence the big ipad manufacturing explotion last year.

The other companies like samsung and others, have their share of labor faults, but none are as demanding and greedy as apple has been.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]true that theres alot of companies that use Foxconn, but most of the problems in Foxconn are coming from the Apple manufacturing branch. Apple being greedy as they are pay minimum to Foxconn, and Foxconn barely made profit, so they bought cheaper materials and cut back on maintenance. Apple demands for alot of devices to be made really fast and cheap, and foxconn can barely keep up with the demand, so they force overtime hours and hire kids to hurry up work. But Apple never slows down, instead they keep demanding more. Since apple barely pays much to foxconn, they were forced to try and make profit by buying cheaper stuff and some more toxic(but cheap) materials, hence the big ipad manufacturing explotion last year. The other companies like samsung and others, have their share of labor faults, but none are as demanding and greedy as apple has been.[/citation]

Wheres your proof that Apple is pay less than competitors? Any links supporing your statements will be nice but doubt they exist.

timoseewho

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]I never understood the logic behind an announced inspection. Really if I am a business owner doing something shady and I know there is an inspection coming the next day I am gonna do my best to make sure everything is working to code for that day. An inspection like this that checks for working conditions should be completely random and unannounced, the inspectors should just show up with no warning at all and at random times to see what is really going on. Telling the companies that they are gonna be there on Tuesday at 2pm then 99 times out of 100 the inspection will be perfect since they will have prepared. Really if it was me I would set a date and time and then show up on a completely different day to get them when they are not looking[/citation]
So true...

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Apple doesn't care hence why it was a scheduled inspection? Do the FEDS give drug dealers a heads up basically saying ok guys we'll be stopping by on Tuesday next week!

The way Apple has handled the inspection and the wages they pay the workers themselves shows is proof it's all about the money keeping investors happy. China is America's modern day form of sharecropping just on a international level.

To paraphrase everything I just said I'll just leave you with this intelligent quote from a very smart man who was actively speaking out on behalf of this situation 6 years ago.

"It's the contemporary form of slavery, they call it slave labour But they don't prosecute them 'cause it's how they make paper" Jedi Mind Tricks - Shadow Business

G

[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]Wow, and so is yours.. Judging an entire political body, and their supporters, as trash. Nice one. The simple fact is.. It is China's problem. They out number us more than 3 to 1 over here. I'm not going to break my wallet trying to help them, when quite simply, there are much bigger problems over here that need to be addressed...and desperately. Fix the biggest problems first. For example.. Paying all my utilities, cell phone, internet, etc, ain't gonna do me a lick of good if in doing so I ignore paying my rent on time.China has problems. I feel for them. However this society needs to stop screwing future generations of Americians via National Debt, and shady deals. I care about people, everywhere, however my family does now, and always will, come before my neighbor, and so on, to end with other people in different countries with different governments, that should be doing the same for them. Fix their damn government first. Everything else is a damn bandaid on a bullet wound.[/citation]

txsouthpaw said GOP debate audience, not the Republican party as a whole. Read the comment properly before you get your blood boiled.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
"...Apple just really doesn't care because company representatives have actually seen labor violations during their visits.." Somehow I pictured a white man wearing a suit walking in to the factory floor and all the workings reach their hands to him pleading "save us! save us please!"

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Then go protest in China or try to pass legislation there. Until their government starts giving a damn, why should I?[/citation]

ever heard of a poem called "In Nazi Germany"?

He didnt stand up for the persecuted, but when they came for him, there was nobody to stand up.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]ever heard of a poem called "In Nazi Germany"? He didnt stand up for the persecuted, but when they came for him, there was nobody to stand up.[/citation]
Nazis tried to conquer the world in less than 10 years, China has been a totalitarian communist regime for over half a century, they just have a different form of Government, deal with it.

mm0ety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]This does not excuse child labor. The harsh conditions and long hours of work is not healthy for the child and it also completely blocks the child from ever getting a proper education. No child should be neglected a proper education and a chance to become what they truly want.I would rather pay $1,000 for a iPad even if it still came from China if it meant not screwing over even a single child for my own personal first world enjoyments. I think it is sickening that our society is willing to sacrifice the well-being of children to save ourselves a few dollars.[/citation]
They dont have to increase the price of the ipad they just have to take a cut from thier profits. Basicly billionars should just settle with being millionars.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Some people pointed to the fact that the problem lies in the Chinese government, and not Apple or other companies buying from Foxconn. While it's indeed the truth, thgose companies, especially Apple, can make a great impact on the situation. In a world where money rules, Apple, which is the richest of all, could ameliorate the situation of the workers in days, while it could take decades for the people to achieve the same results by taking a stand against their government. They don't "have" to, but they would if they'd really care about the workers. It's called having a social conscience.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]This is China's problem. Why do people think everything is America's problem? Why does any company have a duty to ensure how its suppliers are doing business? It's not like Apple projects this humanitarian, green image, so what's the problem?Blame the Chinese government for not doing anything. But no, this of course is 100% Apple's fault. The Chinese government is filled with angels.[/citation]
Perhaps the following reason is incomprehensible to you, however, by crApple, and any company for that matter, investing their money in China, they are supporting, and in fact, condoning the conditions over in China. Yes, it is China's problem, yes, it is Foxconn's problem, but they would find it much more difficult to function without the money that they get from companies like crApple.

Furthermore, YES crApple has a right to make a buck, but by doing so in this manner is, in fact, condoning a complete disregard for worker rights. In some respects, you could take this as crApple saying something like "if we could screw all US workers and give them no rights, we would bring manufacturing back to the US, but since in the US workers have rights, we will give all our manufacturing jobs to countries where the workers have no rights."

Get it??? In other words, crApple is essentially saying F the workers.

royalcrown

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]all aplle fanbois want is the iphone 5 and the maxipad 3. they don't care if an 8 year old or a 40 year old assembles it. just like the nike crowd[/citation]

Yeah, like all other electronics arent made in china, like the computer you posted on or crappy RROD xboxes.

royalcrown

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Some people pointed to the fact that the problem lies in the Chinese government, and not Apple or other companies buying from Foxconn. While it's indeed the truth, thgose companies, especially Apple, can make a great impact on the situation. In a world where money rules, Apple, which is the richest of all, could ameliorate the situation of the workers in days, while it could take decades for the people to achieve the same results by taking a stand against their government. They don't "have" to, but they would if they'd really care about the workers. It's called having a social conscience.[/citation]

And Microsoft is POOR ? What about xboxes, foxconn makes those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.