Foxconn Interns Forced Overtime Work to Manufacture PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Companies come out publicly and say they are against what Foxconn is doing yet you will NEVER see any of these same companies tell Foxconn either shape up or lose our business simply because Foxconn can do it cheaper than anyone else. I'd suspect for most of Foxconn's buyers (Sony,Apple etc) it's a don't ask don't tell policy. If Sony or Apple really gave a %&*$# they would move to another supplier regardless of if it was more expensive and send a message to Foxconn but being realistic I know that will never happen.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
"Immediate actions have been taken to bring that campus into full compliance with our code and policies," said a Foxconn representative. "Reinforcing the policies of no overtime and no night shifts for student interns, even though such work is voluntary, and reminding all interns of their rights to terminate their participation in the program at any time."

I'd be interested to see how many hours constitute working overtime and what consequences interns get for "terminating their participation".

nevilence

Honorable
May 8, 2012
We are get up in arms about it, yet everyone here that had already planned to buy a PS4 will still do so. If enough customers threatened Sony with boycotting the PS4, Sony would very quickly find someone else or have Foxconn in order very quickly. Yet that will not happen, so quit acting like you give a fuck and give Sony your money

rishwin

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
@ nevilence - and at what point in time, which which company, has boycotting a product actually worked out int he favor of the consumer?

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
No biggie. At Foxconn when they've had enough, they can simply jump ship (or is it building?).

I know... Bad joke, but seriously... soon enough the governments of the world will stop pretending to care about people and be all-out corporate run entities. They don't care now. They just pretend to.

sirskeetsalot2013

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
@ Nevilence what's it matter it stated that namely Apple, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all use foxconn parts, and the same pc your posting with now may even have a foxconn part in it. Better boycott them all, not just try to bash sony.

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I'm not suprised, its the way of the world now , what do we do? throw our pc's and our smartphones in the bin out of protest?
Foxconn makes so many products now, most motherboards used to be made at Foxconn before Sony and Apple. I feel bad for the workers that are exploited, but who am I to judge when I own their products?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
wait these were unpaid interns? Do people really understand the power of an employee? You can quit. I would quit if someone told me I HAD to work overtime on an unpaid internship.

Ken M

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Don't forget the Xbox 360 is being manufactured by Foxconn, 10% of Xbox One production is by Foxconn, WiiU by Foxconn, Amazon Kindle by Foxconn, Dell Laptops by Foxconn, etc etc.

I am sure Sony wished that Lady Chance's didn't befall the facilities that were making its products, and instead this befell some other tech companies production lines.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Aren't all citizens considered property of the state in a communist state? It's amazing how governments encourage manufacturing in countries like China through trade policies. In the 80s, these would have been considered sweat shops and companies would have been chastized. We sure have evolved as a race, huh?

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
That wasn't the first time, lol its Foxconn we're talking about. Besides, they'll work there at some point, maybe not all of them but alot, now they're experianced. Just call it a day and move on to real news.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Really? This is an issue? I think it's good these kids will learn what real work is on the outside. I've been in many jobs that require overtime work for producing deadlines. Now, if it was some crazy overtime hours, then I would understand.. but just saying "overtime" makes them all sound like spoiled kids. Get used to it kids, most jobs will require overtime at some point.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr_report/sourcing/materials/

The world is full of hypocrites really. Why complain about the ethics of such business if you go ahead and willfully buy their products anyway. You have the choice, you can either do some research into what you're buying, or contribute towards this cluster f*** of minimum price competition that the electronics world is locked into due to consumer demand.

Quit whining, or put your money where your mouth is.

Max_x2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Not really topic related, but... I just love how TomsHardware's articles are usually unbiased, especially if i compare that same news to the one TheVerge published yesterday. Same facts, but you guys put it in context. Thank you :)

"However, because of Foxconn's ties to high profile companies such as Apple, it's a bigger target for the media than other companies."

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm sure there are a lot of IT workers who visit this site. Are you telling me that most of you haven't been required to put in overtime at one time or another? It is pretty standard in the IT industry. Now I'm not saying that this is the same thing as working in a Chinese factory, but the point is that there seems to be such indignation at the mere concept of mandatory overtime, when this is not generally considered to be abusive even in the United States. Now there may be other things that are abusive in the Foxconn case, but they are not the focus of this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.