FPS almost doubles on laptop when using external display (HDMI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2018
I got a DELL laptop, it has interigated intel chip, and also GTX1050. I've been using it for about a year now, Ive always had the same FPS. Yesterday I tried to game using my 24' monitor, and I noticed that I get almost double the fps I usually get. Rocket League usually gets 120 MAX, I got about 240FPS average. PUBG I get 30-50 FPS, when plugged to the monitor I get 80-100 fps.

We also tried this with my friend's laptop (also interigated intel + GTX1070) and he also gets this insane FPS boost. We also tried using another large monitor (livingroom's TV) and we are also getting this FPS increase.

What is happening here? Is there anyway to replicate this while using the normal laptop's screen?

This is defiently not a fake FPS that is displayed to me, PUBG runs amazingly better when I'm plugged to the external monitor.

p.s I'm aware that the hdmi output comes from the NVIDIA gpu, but I'm certain that I'm using the GTX1050 even when I'm not plugged to an external monitor. And besides, and intel chip would never even boot up PUBG let alone get 30-50 FPS.

Solution
I also have this question, and although there are multiple threads I can find on the internet asking variations of this same question, no one has posted any definitive answer.

I have a 15" 2018 Macbook Pro (2.6 i7, Radeon 560x w/4GB) running bootcamp, and my fps skyrockets when plugged into an external 1080p monitor. When connected to the external monitor, I can play Planetside 2 on High settings, 1650x1050 resolution, around 60 fps. Using the internal display, the same settings get me 3 – 5 fps. Same with Elite Dangerous: using the external monitor, I can use Ultra settings at 1920x1080 with 144 fps, yet the internal display at the same settings net around 15 – 30 fps.

The internal display is set at 1650x1050.

I'm really interested...
Aug 2, 2018
its 720p, but still, even when I play on my laptop's monitor on 1280x720 I barely get a 30 FPS bump on rocket league. On pubg even on the lowest settings possible with lowest resolution I get about 10 fps more at most.
And the refresh rate is 60hz

Nov 4, 2018
I also have this question, and although there are multiple threads I can find on the internet asking variations of this same question, no one has posted any definitive answer.

I have a 15" 2018 Macbook Pro (2.6 i7, Radeon 560x w/4GB) running bootcamp, and my fps skyrockets when plugged into an external 1080p monitor. When connected to the external monitor, I can play Planetside 2 on High settings, 1650x1050 resolution, around 60 fps. Using the internal display, the same settings get me 3 – 5 fps. Same with Elite Dangerous: using the external monitor, I can use Ultra settings at 1920x1080 with 144 fps, yet the internal display at the same settings net around 15 – 30 fps.

The internal display is set at 1650x1050.

I'm really interested to know:
1) Why does this happen? And more importantly,
2) Can I reproduce the performance that I get on the external monitor when just using the internal display?

Anything that can help point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.