shehz23

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
I have recently purchased a new Toshiba L50-C1957 Laptop
Specs:
Intel i7-6500U CPU @ 2.5 Ghz
8 Gb RAM
64 bit windows 10.
Graphics Card: 4Gb Nvidia GTX 950m (Dedicated)

I,ve been facing fps drops in games like CS GO, Dying Light and NFS Most Wanted 2012. Maybe its cuz of overeating or something, The game will be running smoothly for sometime(around 100-120 fps) and then there will a bad fps drop(5-10 fps) for a couple of seconds. I know this shouldnt be happening as the graphics card is pretty good. All my drivers are up to date as well. I searched for many solutions online. Performed a clean uninstall of the graphics driver using DDU. Ive tried switching off my antivirus as well, but that didnt seem to work. Cant seem to understand what the exact problem is. Ive tried all the possible solutions that ive found online.

Is it some nvidia setting problem? Or a graphics card or hardware problem?
I'd be really grateful if some could help me out.

fabiodrm

Commendable
Feb 12, 2016
make sure your laptop is running in performance mode.
At nvidia control painel add .exe of games you are playing, just to make sure you are using dedicated GPU while gaming.

have you checked CPU/GPU Temps?

shehz23

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
yes im sure that it is set on high performance.
and ive set the games to be played with the dedicated graphics card.

could u tell me a handy and accurate tool to measure cpy and gpu temps??
Thanks

X79

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Get a laptop cooling pad.

Get some compressed air in a can and then blow out any dust from your fans. Take your laptop apart if you have to.

Then try enable V-Sync in games.

shehz23

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016

its a brand new laptop so idk if there would be any dust. but ill still look into it

shehz23

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016

ya so i used msi afterburner
my gpu temp was around 85 degrees

and cpu core temps were 93ish
and when the fps dropped, the temp went down to 84-85 celcius

what do i do??

fabiodrm

Commendable
Feb 12, 2016
your laptop is overheating and automatic lower cpu clock speed to cool down.

Remember: laptops are not made for gaming.

Are you using you laptop in you bed? table? make sure all ventilation holes are open and exposed.

Do not use your laptop placed on you bed or something like.

like our friend sayd, get a cooling pad.

shehz23

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016

i use it on my table only.

and yes i dont have a cooling pad right now. surely will purchase one soon.
is there anything else i can/should do?
thanksss

shehz23

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016

yep im playing all games on low.
well now i aint even playing cuz im scared of blowing up my laptop
i have contacted the customer service of toshiba as well to look into my issues

Genesi5

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Well, i have Asus K501UX, bought almost 2 month ago, almost same specs (gtx950m with 2gb vram, 6gb ram), and i also have frequent stuttering with sound glitch from normal fps, but only in GTAV. Gpu temp doesn't go over 74C (twin-cooler), but i have spike drops. Vsync manipulation seems not to be working, Dx10.1 also doesnt help. Any suggestions?

crodion

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

I have the same issue with my Lenovo ideapad 700 ( GTX950M, i7-6700 8gb ddr4 ram ) and it's killing me. I've bought the laptop 5 days ago and already having random fps drops in even not hardware demanding games ( cod2 for example ). I'm playing LoL in ultra settings with locked 120fps and it's getting fps drops to 0 ( same in cod2 ). That lasts for about 2 seconds and fps returns to normal. Strange thing is that it never happens in World Of Tanks so my question is : " Could it be a hardware optimisation problem ?" . Haven't checked the MSI Afterburner yet but I think the issue might be with the downclocking when overheated. The best solution so far is to buy a cooling pad? If anyone has a better solution please help us, we're desperate :(

AboulTeek

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
Have you solved this problem yet?

I am having exactly the same problem in my laptop: Toshiba L50-c (Graphics Card: 4Gb Nvidia GTX 950m (Dedicated)).

It is very annoying and i really need a solution.
Thanks!