Fraps - Lagging when recording

MachoTheOverkiller

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Hello!

I feel like I have a rather beastmode computer that shouldnt have any problems recording what I'm playing.

My main problem is that when I record with Fraps my frames drop and the game tends to lagg spike. I have viewed alot of youtube videos where they explain that I have to choose half-size and so on (but that makes the quality bad) and I have an extra HDD where I store my videos and yeah, I can't see the problem... My GPU is running at full capasity when recording but the CPU is only at round 30-40%

Specs
GTX 970 4GB (MSI)
MSI A99X Raider
i7-5820k Intel CPU
250 Samsung SSD
500 Samsung SSD
2TB WD
(I have also ordered the GTX 1080 founders edition)

Would really love some input here.. and I know there is shadowplay and so on, but I paid for the Fraps and I love the quality content it produces

Solution

Use shadowplay :p
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx31BaE01zc"][/video]

Otherwise you will have to get your hands dirty,what encoding option do you use in fraps?
You will have to find a balance between how much cpu the game needs and how much fraps needs(if you use cpu encoding),you will probably have to change the priority of both (game/fraps) with task manager so both get enough attention from the CPU without influencing the other.
This has nothing to do with the power of your i7 ,which has plenty enough power for this, it has to do with how an OS operates,it can't tell how fast you want something to run in relation to...

TerryLaze

Commendable
May 9, 2016

Use shadowplay :p
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx31BaE01zc"][/video]

Otherwise you will have to get your hands dirty,what encoding option do you use in fraps?
You will have to find a balance between how much cpu the game needs and how much fraps needs(if you use cpu encoding),you will probably have to change the priority of both (game/fraps) with task manager so both get enough attention from the CPU without influencing the other.
This has nothing to do with the power of your i7 ,which has plenty enough power for this, it has to do with how an OS operates,it can't tell how fast you want something to run in relation to something else, if you don't tell it.

Solution

MachoTheOverkiller

Commendable
May 30, 2016

Hey, I apperciate the response, I will check out shadowplay today and land my final verdict, I will also look into the cpu priority thing you mentioned

MachoTheOverkiller

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Okay, I am convinced. I finally got shadowplay to work and to be honest... I'm never using fraps ever again. The shadowtime feature is the best thing ive ever seen, I miss out on so many crucial moments and this will solve it, THANK YOU @TerryLaze