Free AVG AntiVirus Comes to Apple Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ COLGeek

- Yes definitely "Yay" for mac users as they need all the protection they can get considering the average Mac user can't be bothered to learn a thing or two about common sense computing and how not to get a virus or malware (which is probably one of the reasons they switched to a Mac, because of the classic assumption that Macs are impervious).

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
@apone As much as I love to make fun of Macolites, from what I have seen the average PC user isn't all that good at learning simple ways to avoid viruses either. Don't get me wrong, I oppose most all things Apple and probably always will.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Actually, there is a study that states that Mac users are smarter then PC users. Google this.

Coincidentally, My PC, this one of the photo, crashed last week, had to start from scratch again. I even believe it was because of a virus, even tough I had AVG Free. I never had a Windows machine wich didnt go total failure at one point. Never had any sort of problems with Macs. OS X rules.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
@SoniaMWatson

My neighbour's cousin's grand-mother's mortal enemy's dog thinks your friend's sister-in-law is an internet whore.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
"Actually, there is a study that states that Mac users are smarter then PC users. Google this. "

Nicely worded, I'm guessing you are the exception that proves the rule?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Actually, any release of Anti Virus for OSX is a good thing. The comment about Mac use not being bothered to learn how now to get a virus is a little biased because if you look at the vast majority of Mac and PC users you will notice that most are not technical and really just use their computers to do some pretty basic things.

In terms of people moving to Mac because it is supposedly "impervious". That is a bit misleading as well. It is not impervious, that would be a false statement but it is far less targeted and there is far less confirmed virus and malware on the platform. If you do the research on google for confirmed viruses on OSX you will find that their is actually only 2-3 of them. Malware however there are over 20 now but compare those numbers to it's Windows counterpart and you can see how people can have a sense of security with OSX even though in it's default configuration it is not any more secure than Windows.

There are allot better Free AV solutions out their then AVG for OSX those. Sophos has a much better solution, is extremely lightweight and has smaller more frequent updates throughout the day rather than doing larger batch updates less frequently.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
@Leandro,

You are not really smarter because you bought a Mac. Please install spellcheck on your mac. If English is your 3rd or 4th language, then you ( not than) have an excuse.

Funny thing about this article and many articles in the past. Macs market share has stayed pretty constant at 5-7% Even during the Vista years, they only managed to gain a point. Apple continues to market to the ignorant and elitists. I realize that the ignorant population is far greater than 5-7%..... The ignorant usually asks someone who they feel is more knowledgeable on the subject.

Smart people back up their computers. Mac or PC, they back them up.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
AVG is spyware/virus in its own now. I had them up until a few weeks ago untill all their AVG ads (and misleading download prompts for their search bar) go too overwhelming. That company should be ashemd of itself.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Gosh I butchered that post. (Please make editing posts more straight forward Toms)
"AVG is a spyware/virus on its own now. I had them up until a few weeks ago until all their AVG ads (and misleading download prompts for their search bar) got too overwhelming. That company should be ashamed of itself."

Status
Not open for further replies.