Freezing Issue on G75VX

Wirukasu

Estimable
May 27, 2014
I am having an intermittent freezing problem on my laptop. I have an ASUS G75VX-BHI7N11. Most times I have a few minutes. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It just freezes and then about a minute later it shuts down. At times it won't boot properly. At times it won't boot at all and the keyboard and screen won't even turn on. I have ruled out malware having scanned with Avast, ADV, and MalwareBytes. I've used a registry cleaner and gotten rid of errors. I've restored, though maybe not far back enough. I've run memory tests, though they only ran for maybe 10 minutes before it froze again. I don't THINK it's an overheating issue. I've used a temp monitor program but I haven't seen anything more in depth than that. For some reason, it seems to make a difference in how long I can get my computer to stay on when I switch from wall power to the battery when it freezes and shuts down.

I will soon be pulling all of my hair out. Please help!

clutchc

Distinguished
If it freezes running something like memtest, it could very well be a bad stick of memory. If you have more than 1 stick installed, remove all but the one and run memtest for at least one full pass. There should be 0 errors reported (or no freezes either) after the pass. Remove the stick of memory and replace it with the other stick. Repeat. come back and report your findings.

Memtest: http://www.memtest.org/
Download the .ISO file and use it to burn a bootable CD. Boot to that CD and let it run for at least one full pass.

Wirukasu

Estimable
May 27, 2014
Thank you for your reply, clutchc. I'm on a laptop so that isn't too simple to do.

I did however run memtest again. It automagically runs 4 at once to test and I waited until the original window was at 400% and the other 3 were at 100% before replying, at which point it froze again. Would that rule out a memory problem?

I should add that I've had this laptop for a year with no freezing problems. I've added an SSD as the boot drive with a non-OEM Windows 8.

clutchc

Distinguished
Why can't you open the cover over the memory and test the way you are suppose to with memtest? If there was one bad stick, you'd never know which one it was. That's the reason for testing one stick at a time. Every laptop I've ever had allowed for easy access to memory by removing a simple cover. And what "windows" are you talking about being at 400%/100%?

When you installed the SSD, did you do a clean install of Win8, or clone the HDD? If a clone, what pgm did you use?
By non-OEM Win8, I presume you mean a retail copy, yes?