Frequently FPS Drop on laptop (Acer Aspire v5)

MackArron

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
Hi, my name is Joseph.
Recently i buyed a laptop (Acer Aspire 571 pg) this laptop is very good for browsing and waching videos, etc... I'm happy that it can handle those things perfectly But i have a big issue when i try to play some games.

For example GTA IV. I start the game normally and after a couple of minutes the game stutters/ drops fps constantly. I mean... It runs well in the first 4-5 minutes, then it starts to run slow for a couple of seconds and then goes back to run normally for another couple of seconds, and then again the game runs slow, and this keeps going and going as long as i play.

Specs:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V5-571PG-9814-15-6-Inch-Touc...

HDD: 1tb
O.s: Windows 8.1 [It was originally Windows 8, but i updated the Os for free] (Maybe this was the problem?)
RAM: 8gb
Video [1]: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video [2]: Dedicated Nvidia 710m [1gb] ddr3
Processor: Intel i7 3537U 2.0ghz [2.5ghz in turbo]

So i really don't know what to do, this fps drops are really annoying.
I've tried:

-Installing new video drivers [They're up to date]
-Installing new audio drivers [They're up to date too]
-Changing battery settings, doesn't make much difference in balanced mode or high performance
-Low the settings and resolution of the game [This keeps happening even on the lowest settings, it stutters/ it still gives me a fps drop]
-Defrag my hdd [Nothing changes]
-Updated my bios [The problem still persist]
-Turning off vertical sync and other various settings on the Nvidia control panel.

The thing is that i used Nvidia inspector just to check the gpu temperature and i notice that when the temperature reaches 60 to 70 celcius degrees the game starts to run slowly and stutter.

I've this cooler connected to my lap:

http://www.coated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/micros...
I've the same pad just in color black.

But even with that thing connected the temperature still goes up.

Maybe i need a better cooling pad? What should i do to get the fps stable? I hope you can help me, really.

Have a nice weekend

Solution
Yes, be sure to do it quickly. Some stores only give you 15 days to exchange the item. You may want to consider returning it, and repurchasing a new laptop with a NEW return period.

Im kind of skeptical of a computer that has issues out of the box. Now we all know that DOA's happen and its a fact of life, but its too much money to risk.

Also, suggest doing the research before purchasing one, so you can get the best value for your money. Honestly, before I buy a new computer I do days or weeks of research on it, unless I really want it because of the design or specs or something. But spending the time doing research and being patient will ensure you get a quality computer you can use for a long time. Read the reviews! Post questions!

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
You/re on the right track. Try blowing out the machine with compressed air. Depending on its age, use and environment, the dust inside the machine builds up causing a rise in temperature. Has it always had this issue? Also, keep in mind there are multiple screens on the computer where dust collects, be sure to give it a thorough cleaning. I've heard of some people disassembling their laptops every couple years to thoroughly clean them. As it stands now, we know for a fact that heat is detrimental in the long run to electrical components such as motherboards and GPU's.

I would suggest frequently blowing it out to avoid any build up. Additionally, a more efficient cooling pad would be a good idea. Which one are you using now? If the temp doesnt change, then the cooling pad simply isnt doing its job.

MackArron

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
I'm using a Microsoft cooling base. It has a small fan in the center and that's it.
Another thing i want to ask, my laptop is brand new, i mean i haven't use it for less than a month, it's that time enough to collect a lot of dust that will affect the gpu's performance?

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
My apologies. I did not realize how new this computer is. Where did you purchase it? There is probably an exchange period you can go through to try and get a new machine. I am of the impression that a computer should not overheat like that even when doing strenuous things. That is not normal. Especially for a machine that cost you $1,000.

That computer is too new to read any user reviews of this issue but I think if you keep it and you keep experiencing these issues you will be one of the first to be able to write reviews and share your frustrating experience with everyone.

I would suggest returning it, getting a new one with a new exchange period and run the computer through stress tests to see if that works okay and the temps stay normal levels. If you are out of the exchange period, you will need to deal with the manufacturer on getting it repaired or replaced. But don't sit on this type of issue, it will only get worse.

Check with the manufacturer for any firmware updates for the other parts in the PC as well. Something this new is bound to have newer firmware out already that might help improve the cooling of the computer.

MackArron

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
Thanks Pcmagic, i'm going to return the laptop to Acer so i can get a new one, because i've read some reviews about my laptop and people make it clear that the graphics card is "decent" but they never said that the got some fps drop issues, so maybe i got a faulty laptop or something.

I'll come back in a few days and post if the laptop's graphic card is bad or not.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Yes, be sure to do it quickly. Some stores only give you 15 days to exchange the item. You may want to consider returning it, and repurchasing a new laptop with a NEW return period.

Im kind of skeptical of a computer that has issues out of the box. Now we all know that DOA's happen and its a fact of life, but its too much money to risk.

Also, suggest doing the research before purchasing one, so you can get the best value for your money. Honestly, before I buy a new computer I do days or weeks of research on it, unless I really want it because of the design or specs or something. But spending the time doing research and being patient will ensure you get a quality computer you can use for a long time. Read the reviews! Post questions!

Solution