Mar 18, 2018
Hi there future owners of my gratitude, here are my specs:

Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Video card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Storage: 414 GB free

My less than 1-year-old laptop had been running games on decent settings for a few months without any problems at all. However, the framerates have been horrible recently: less than 30 FPS, no exceptions, even at the lowest settings. If, by some miracle, it does get higher than that, it only lasts for around a second or so.

That's when I got the brilliant idea of resetting my laptop. In hindsight, it wasn't much of a solution. Now here I sit, with a laptop that is still unable to smoothly run games that it was able to mere months ago.

If you guys could help me out that'd be immensely appreciated, as I have no idea what's going on. Just a warning though: you might lose a few brain cells trying to explain everything as I'm not really tech-savvy

Solution
Either you did something to make the laptop switch over to your iGPU(630) instead of your gaming card (1050)
or it just filled up with dust making it heat up which in turn causes the system to slow down to keep the temps in safe margins.
Put a game in windowed mode and run gpu z to check which GPU is being used,run core temp to check at what clocks your cores run.

janeb3918

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

Hi, could you please check the CPU usage in your Task Manager and show me then?
Besides that, you would better try to run SFC and DISM for your computer at first to know exactly which program makes fps drop dramatically in games.
After that, maybe i can get through more ways for you, thanks!

TerryLaze

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Either you did something to make the laptop switch over to your iGPU(630) instead of your gaming card (1050)
or it just filled up with dust making it heat up which in turn causes the system to slow down to keep the temps in safe margins.
Put a game in windowed mode and run gpu z to check which GPU is being used,run core temp to check at what clocks your cores run.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS