Fujifilm F50fd: Small, Powerful Digital Camera

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I'm not a camera pro. But the Canon A720 IS seems like a much better camera (at everything but megapixels). Cheaper and uses normal AA batteries.
Is the Fujifilm ISO 6400 useable?

(I don't mean to say anything negitive about Fuji cameras. I am just more familar with Canons.)

10xBsod

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Why all manufacturers use very small sensor on compact cameras?
Just add 50-100$ at price, and put a decent 16x24mm senzor.
And strange old 4/3 format used on old television standard? :non:
3/2 or 16/9 ftw :sol:

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

I think all future camers will be 16/9 still or 1080p video. Just wait a year or two. Look at the Canon TX1 for example.
Until then I have the power of a camcorder only a few years old in a case smaller than any camcorder (with image stablization that works). I don't even use my old MiniDV camcorder anymore. Nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention no tape to replace, not even a hard-drive to record on. This is high-tech.
About the small sensor? Not all are small, just shop for it.

Merlot_pv

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

The main appeal of this series of Fuji's are the super sensitive ccds with the incredible ISO performance which you won't find in any other point and click style cameras. Unfortunately the reviewer didn't really look hard enough at this angle so it's hard to say whether this camera lives up to the earlier F31d that it replaces (not the F40). I would find it difficult to believe that the ISO 6400 mode is useable but who knows unless we see a review which properly explores this. Anecdotally, it seems the push to increase megapixels makes this camera probably slightly worse than the original F31d from an ISO perspective - but again who knows.

I just bought the F40 model which is less configurable but the results at ISO 2000 (on auto) are unbeatable by any other similar non-Fuji camera. The reason I bought it was because at least a 1/3 of my shots tend to be in indoors or other low light situations, and for that instant point and click purpose the results are fantastic. It has a neat feature whereby you can take one shot with flash and one without meaning you can sometimes go with the natural light depending on the conditions.

fantastapotamus

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
"we at least expected to find a memory card in the bundle: the lack of one is a real black mark for the manufacturer"

Clearly they've never bought a camera before. If they come with any card at all it's usually 16 or 32 MB, I ought to know since I sell them for a living. Just another example of why THG needs to stick to computers

That said I use and sell mostly Fujis and they are pretty good cameras overall.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
For the price I would like to see how it will compare with other entries.
For me the selling point of a camera are: 1.Intelligent Flash or equivalent 2.Color Reproduction 3.Image Quality 4.Low light level shooting 5.Face Detection 6.Macro 7. Responsiveness and Functionality 8Price 9.Warranty not particularly in the same order. But you know what I mean.
I for one hopelessly waiting for Manufacturer to make large sensor (35 mm equivalent would be nice) for point and shot and some DSLR cameras. I’ll pay extra for that.
I’d like to see it compared with Canon and Panasonic with same price bracket or 15% ±.
I like the review because of their opinion. Next time I will buy a P&S Camera I will most certainly use some that information as my guide.

Unfortunately this is not a full review so but it would be nice if the reviewer spend more time with camera.

Even though I never seen or tested the Fuji F50fd myself. I don’t think it has an optical image stabilizer as mention by the reviewer twice. FUJI - “The Gyro-Sensor detects the amount of blur and the Image Stabilization Chip calculates how much correction is needed." Based on the result, the CCD is shifted to compensate for camera shake.” It’s an older technology than optical stabilizer and it’s proven itself. Now being adopted on sensors.

THG “we at least expected to find a memory card in the bundle: the lack of one is a real black mark for the manufacturer.” Like fantastapo tamus comment, I haven’t got across cameras that bundle with memory card without paying extra for it. Unless you're buying it from a store where you can bargain with.

THG “the face detection function is erratic,” I want more explanation; one reason if it has good face detection is that it tries to adjust the settings when anything move. “ and we'd have liked to have exposure adjustments.” The picture shows that there a button for exposure compensation or something.

This is my first time I'm making comment about the review, and I understand the hardship to make an opinion on something that a lot would read about.

It's an ok review but could be better.