Future Contact Lenses Can Put Pixels on Our Eyeballs

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This can't come soon enough! I won't use it for gaming, but I can see this being VERY useful for any outdoor activities (driving, mountain tracking (or is it trailing?), cycling, running, etc.) - it will have compass. wind speed and direction, distance measurement.... I'd SO get that over any stupid tablet/smartphone...

... and don't forget X-ray vision :D

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
HUD glasses isn't enough?

1 pixel? Was it visibly sharp? What was the perceived size of that pixel? Don't forget eyes have limited focal point depending on the distance.

They're developing this to advertise directly to your eyes XD

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]maybe we will get augments by 2027?[/citation]
deus ex: human revolution like augments will come sooner than we think, dont know if the article was ever posted here or not.

[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]HUD glasses isn't enough?1 pixel? Was it visibly sharp? What was the perceived size of that pixel? Don't forget eyes have limited focal point depending on the distance.They're developing this to advertise directly to your eyes XD[/citation]

if you are useing an outside apperatice, you can get by the focal point of the eye limitations, but think of it this way,

1led has 3 lights, for a deaf person, those 3 lights could be for natural disaster warnings, like tornado, earthquake, and water related (tsunami) correct me if im wrong, but we can predict earthquakes to a limited extent, tornados to a better, and tsunami (really any big wave) this could be use full to them.

[citation][nom]stalker7d7[/nom]How long until we get these surgically implanted for permanent HUDs? 50 years? 30 years? Less?[/citation]

look up implantable contacts, they suck.
the tech for a permant hud will be around the time that we can replace the eye in a blind person with something that is close to as good as our own eyes.

--------------

all that aside, i cant put crap in my eyes, just so not comfortable with the idea of putting contacts in, takeing them out and so on... if i was more ok with it, i would so get them, just because i have oily as hell skin, and glasses get smudged in under 5 minuets.... anyway, i would prefer a glasses based hud over a contact based.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Combined with something like Kinect this would be the ultimate technological breakthrough. You could look at your hand and see a phone, a toy, a pet, etc... Omg. DO WANT.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]all that aside, i cant put crap in my eyes, just so not comfortable with the idea of putting contacts in, takeing them out and so on... if i was more ok with it, i would so get them, just because i have oily as hell skin, and glasses get smudged in under 5 minuets.... anyway, i would prefer a glasses based hud over a contact based.[/citation]

It takes a couple of weeks to get used to them, but once you're used to them, you'll never go back.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i just remembered and idea that i want done.

an exp and skill level implant, something that would make exercise seam meaningful.

i dont exercise because i need instant results, and making me tired is not a result, if i could see an exp bar and a skillup like thing, i could defiantly find time to exercise. but needing to exercise for a month or so, and needing to look at photos to even tell a difference, or getting a week by week scale measurement, i just cant bring myself to do a task that doesn't have instant results.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]It takes a couple of weeks to get used to them, but once you're used to them, you'll never go back.[/citation]

im going with my experiance of needing to put drops in my eyes for months, could never get use to that at all, i cant see contacts, where i have to keep my eyes open, and stick my finger in my eye, something i would be able to do on a daily, and multiple times a day basis. now if there was a decent week long or month long contact, i could do it, it would suck, but i could.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]im going with my experiance of needing to put drops in my eyes for months, could never get use to that at all, i cant see contacts, where i have to keep my eyes open, and stick my finger in my eye, something i would be able to do on a daily, and multiple times a day basis. now if there was a decent week long or month long contact, i could do it, it would suck, but i could.[/citation]

There're good week or month long contacts, but you still have to take the off every day. No matter what, your eyes need to rest, and keeping contacts on while you sleep isn't a good idea.

It's an abysmal experience at first, since your instincts try to block off any objects coming towards your eye. Once you overcome it, you won't have any problems and eyedrops will become easier, too (I definitely remember myself hating them when I was a kid). Your eyes will also become more resistant to irritation, but you have to remember to keep them humid at all times - AC can be a real b!tch (that's why contacts are not recommended during a flight, for example), so have some tear-like eye drops with you at all times.

Sure, it seems like a big hassle, but in fact it's not so much and the benefits far outweigh the effort taken to achieve them. You can wear sunglasses, nobody makes stupid remarks about you in school if you're a kid, you can swim and see properly and you don't ever have to wipe your glasses again :) And now this new tech will add so many more benefits...

Of course, the market will be first flooded with bull$h!t apps for playing Angry Birds on walls and so on, but there will be serious and useful applications, too, and the people who'll use them will gain a distinct advantage over those who don't. Imagine walking around with direct link to... say, Wikipedia or any other knowledge source... and having it displayed on voice command? No need to look anything up anymore, you will be a dozen times faster with direct on-eye display.

I don't like the idea of eye implants - what if the better version comes out, do you need another surgery to upgrade? No, lenses are much better and it's nice to get used to them in advance :)

Just look at this:

Bionic_contacts.jpg

Just seeing all this circuitry in the lens makes me want to use it. I like technological augmentations. Whoever said human body is perfect is f***ing stupid...

/end futuristic rant

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Soon, it'd be "hip" and "trendy" to have contacts, regardless of your vision![/citation]

Sure, but as I said, these contacts will bring benefit to those who'll be smart enough to take advantage of it. Hip or not, they'll improve things.

Status
Not open for further replies.