Future Wii Titles Will Be Able to Play Themselves

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
It's a feature. If you don't want to use it, then don't.

And if I want to laugh at someone using it, I'll do it.

It's all a matter of choice.

But IMHO, i'd prefer being taught how to do something (player guide) rather than the thing being done for me. (english phrase structure alert)

G

earlier, someone said wii is limited to the 10 and under crowd. I would make that 15 and under, with the addition of it being a good 'party' game console ( partially due to the Mii character customization.) The downfall of the Wii are the amount of lackluster games available. The wifi internet connection and channels are more worthwhile than I initially thought they could be. To be balanced, the time has arrived for a technical/graphic upgrade and this new demo feature is fairly minor - but let it happen and see who uses it.

G

I only own a Wii console, and it's mainly used for group games like Brawl or Rayman Raving Rabbids. However, in general I have had to look up things online for games like Zelda or other adventure/puzzle games after spending hours wracking my brain. Having a demo in-game would save me from accidentally reading ahead in a walk-through and spoiling more of the game.

I know some people, though, that only play games on the easiest setting because they're mainly interested in just getting through them. Having an in-game walk-through may result in that kind of person ultimately watching most of the game.

However, the comment that the feature is targeted at younger players seems kinda silly. In my experience younger players almost always figure out puzzles sooner than older players. Of course, that may just be due in part to younger players having more time to play games.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
@wasteoftime
I meant that parents like the Wii more since you actually have to be active for a few games. If the game does things by itself then the activity part is gone.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]you make it seem like the cheat/trainer scene isn't huge in every other games platform available. stop hatin on the wii just because you think it's dumb.do ppl hate the wii simply because it's selling in huge numbers cuz it's price is at a point more ppl are willing to pay? it seems all the haters always like to chime in that the wii hampers progress because of it's lesser hardware. but it appears the hardware they're clamoring for can not be sold at the price they want to pay. so is it nintendo's fault they can sell a product that ppl are paying for that isn't the bleeding edge? the digital tv debacle seems to be proof that most people don't even have TVs of a quality that would put better hardware to good use, so wot's the point in making a console that has features the majority of it's prospective purchasers could utilize? developers don't even fully utilize the hardware as it is and you want us to buy that we need the hardware to push progress forward? in the end, this is all about money and wot and whom is able to capitalize and fully exploit wotever oppertunity is at hand at the time. we live (US at least) in a society that demands products to be the cheapest price possible and delivers reasonable performance. we don't care wot technology it takes to accomplish it as long as it's cheap. the product that delievers the goal at the cheapest price wins! if you want your precious hardware to win, demand they make it cheap or try to change ppl's views on price but do not hate manufactures that exploit reality.[/citation]

I'm not 'hatin' on the Wii, it has done very well. But I think this only heightens it's reputation as a family/kid's console. And if that sells more units, that good for Nintendo, but I don't consider it as a parallel product to the PS3 and XBOX360 (Lego Star Wars doesn't count). It's definitely not advancing any groundbreaking hardware or platform ideas, but Nintendo has simply tapped into a market that was elusive to a lot of older consoles. Kudo's to Nintendo.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]Upendra09[/nom]@wasteoftimeI meant that parents like the Wii more since you actually have to be active for a few games. If the game does things by itself then the activity part is gone.[/citation]
It's a trade-off. You lose 1 minute of activity but it allows you to play the game longer. Most people when they hit a wall they try for a bit and then put the game down if it didn't work.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
What I really want to know is how it handles combat in games. I guess like New Super Mario Bros it would be simple for it but what about games that aren't that simple when it comes to avoiding getting hit. Take a game like COD5 for example if your badly hurt and in a doomed position and turn it on will it just cheat to compensate and turn on god mode? Will it fail and actually lose? Will the AI simply ignore it?

I have a perfect idea for Nintendo to advertise it though. Remember those Wii commercials where the Japanese guys went to peoples homes and they all played the Wii together? Just repeat that and change the line of the Japanese guys to "It would like to play" and all the people in the house gather and boredly watch the game play all by itself.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Who cares? When Nintendo or someone else comes up with homework that does it self or jobs that do themselves, then MAYBE someone will care. How is this not a movie?

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Hm. I think I would rather just watch a movie than watch a video game play itself.[/citation]
you're kidding? Movies last 90 minutes, sometimes 120. You haven't seen many TAS Videos have you... A 3 houres speed run of a 20 houres game is very entertaining.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Great I no longer have to play with my Wii because it will play with itself... what will I do in the mean time, this is crazy...

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Great I no longer have to play with my Wii because it will play with itself... what will I do in the mean time, this is crazy...[/citation]
occupy your hands: eat :)

Silluete

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I think this feature is insane, yes I always can always open guide in internet using my browser,but I still must do all the difficult moves by myself,but with this... the game will finish himself!!(so the game basically do a suicide) Anyway there is always a option to not use it."c'mon use me,u know u want to...join the dark side, we got ending in here" *turn off the wii*

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
The games would no longer be fun if you let the AI do it (unless the AI is just hilariously stupid). The point of gaming requires a level of hardness and this just promotes people for not even try and just let the game play itself.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
ummm, so if the Wii plays with itself - will one controller get bigger than the other?

seriously though - personally I buy games to play them myself but I do sometimes watch friends play so I guess it could be similar and since it's optional I can't really say anything bad. I don't think I would use it myself though. It sounds like it actually progresses you in the game and not like it is just showing you how to do the part your stuck on with the option to go back and try yourself unless you play the whole level again. which sounds like it is missing an option but that wasn't specified so I don't know any of this for sure.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
here's an idea...

why not just hand $50 to Nintendo for each and every game that has the feature...

why am i paying $50 for video game "movie"...

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Here's an idea: How about "Demo Mode" just SHOWS you how to get past an area but then resets back to where you initiated it. It's still up to you to actually do it to proceed.

Eh? EH?

Kinda like an animated strategy guide of sorts or watching somebody do it on YouTube but without the hassle.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
There are actually applications for this...
Say Tomraider Underworld. I can't figure out how to get to the next area, even if I try for a half hour... Guess what? All I did was miss a small ledge... Would be easier to see with shadows off, but ha!

I dislike cheating, and I try to go for a personal policy of cheating only after I have beaten the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.