G751JY AC charger disconnects while gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
So a few months ago my battery died, which in turn made my computer turn off while gaming. It seemed that the computer (GPU?) needed more power than the AC could give causing it to shut down.

So I got a new battery, and everything worked fine for a week or two. Now when I play demanding games like PUBG the AC charger disconnects and reconnects frequently, and sometimes the computer shuts down. GPU-Z logs say that the temperature is not above 80' degrees just before the shut downs, which leads me to believe its a problem with energy consumption.

The computer is an ASUS ROG G751JY with Nvidia 980m. The AC part is original, and the seller said the battery is original too (and it looks identical to the original).

Other things to note is that during gaming the right side of the laptop is significantly warmer than the left side. The right side is where the AC intake is. The AC jack (?) is also pretty warm when gaming.

Again the disconnections and shut-downs only happens during demanding games. Never during browsing. Stress tests with FurMark will sometimes shut my computer off immediately, other times just disconnects and reconnects of the AC charger.

I am attaching some photos from a gaming session, with information form HWiNFO64 and GPU-z. The last picture is taken just as the charger disconnects and reconnects.

https://imgur.com/a/pgjnY

If I understand correctly my AC charger has 230 watt (19,5 V x 11,8 A), so I don't understand why its disconnecting. I thought maybe I could try to undervolt the GPU, but I dint find a program that could do it. The volt option in Afterburner is already at minimum it seems. I can only overvolt?

Regards

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Update: When I run Furmark now, every time the laptop shuts down immediately when starting the stress-test. So its definitely not a problem with heat, and probably a faulty PSU problem :( 

Darkvillain

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
Did you possibly ruin your battery by leaving it charged all of the time? This is uncommon but can happen with certain models. Also, have you tried a different charger? Just a few options, good luck!

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Thanks alot @darkvilain - I've read that these laptops never charge the batteries fully up - to conserve the battery lifetime. No, I havent tried another charger, didnt get my hands on one yet. Tahnks alot for your reply.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
One more thought. I just tested fumark with only the battery, and the laptop shut down after 2 seconds. So how can the PSU be the problem when the same thing happens with just the battery?

I wish I found a way to undervolt the GPU.

sjdax7

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
I've been struggling with nearly the same issue with my Asus G751JY. My original battery does still hold a charge, and will run over an hour when disconnected from AC.

But when I'm doing demanding tasks, like gaming, it disconnects from AC power, like you described. Sometimes it would reconnect to AC, sometimes no. When it appeared to disconnect from AC, and nothing I did would make it connect again, took it to a computer shop. They said battery and AC charger tested fine, and said most likely a motherboard issue. I was within a 2 year extended warranty (barely), and sent to Asus repair facility, which replaced both the motherboard, and the power port.

The repair did not resolve the issue. It would disconnect from AC and switch to battery under demanding tasks like gaming.

I saw some behavior that led me to suspect the AC charger. I just bought a new 230 watt charger, and am sad to say, it still disconnects from AC power. So I have replaced the Motherboard, Power port, and AC Charger. I haven't replaced the battery yet, but seems like maybe the last possible culprit? What else could it be!?

How did your battery replacement work out for you? Have you any new insights?

Feb 1, 2018
i also came across the same problem. i replaced charger the problem didn't solved. then i replaced battery. and sorry to say this, it remains. ASUS knew about the problems with its laptops but still sell them to us.Now all we are left with is crap like this :(

Status
Not open for further replies.