Galaxy S III for US to Launch with 2GB RAM, Dual-core CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
So basically, it's a galaxy II with more ram?
Sounds overrated imo. Least it will save me money to put to upgrading my pc, should pay almost half of a 680.

I have a Galaxy II and it's quite wonderful, fast, easy to use, and excellent pictures and screen color. I think this will hold me nicely till the Galaxy IV and quad core chips. I don't game on my phone really, i have a few but nothing resource intense, so I fail to see the need for a Galaxy III unless you don't have the II. Rather it had better battery life then a quad core chip though, even my PC doesn't always use all 4 cores, why would my phone "need" 4?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]a sandwhich[/nom]Why not a tegra 3? That sucks.[/citation]
The snapdragon is actually faster, kinda like sandy bridge vs bulldozer.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Can't wait to see the benchmarks and how they compare to the Tegra-3 version.;[/citation]
The chip that will find its way into the phone was actually benched several months ago.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/qualcomm-snapdragon-s4-krait-performance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks

Spoiler Alert: It's really freaking fast, and crushed the competition on almost every single test. The landscape has of course changed more recently, but still, it's a very capable chip.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]a sandwhich[/nom]Why not a tegra 3? That sucks.[/citation]

Nvidia is stubborn, and doesn't think tile based rendering is a good strategy on Smartphones (they're wrong). And as such, their GPUs are outperformed by nearly everyone in 3D... as in things like gaming. The Quad Core A9 is outperformed by dual core A15s in a lot of things... making the Tegra3 SOC, something that is more marketing hype than an actual strong performer.

Qualcomm's S4 is actually the better SOC, IMHO. It outperforms Tegra 3 in battery life in pretty much all scenarios, has better browser performance, better performance in tests like linpack (by a wide win margin at that), and is generally just much faster than Tegra3 in CPU performance. GPU, well... it has a Adreno 225, which performs very similarly to Nvidia's GPU. In some cases it's a little slower, though. Both Nvidia's POS GPU and the Adreno 225 would be utterly destroyed by a decent PowerVR GPU, and are slower than the newer Malis.

I guess my point is that the SOC in this version of the SIII is actually a lot better than the International version.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Most interesting of all, Samsung's announcement also confirmed that the North American version of the phone will use a dual-core Snapdragon processor instead of the quad-core Tegra 3 that's in the international model.

Um... The international version uses the Samsung Exynos 4412 Quad Core w/ an overclocked Mali 400 (which rapes every mobile GPU and even matches the one in the ipad) not the tegra 3. The 4412 is sammy's highly optimized A9 Quad core on a 32nm process and is neck to neck with the 28nm S4 Krait which is not a true A15 custom design but has elements of A15.

CPU performance wise... both the Intl QC and the S4 are matched but the Adreno 225 in the s4 gets left behind by the OC'd mali 400....

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
The Dual Core Snapdragon with the Adreno 225 will out preform the Quad core Tegra 3.
The MSM8960 is the SOC being used and it trounced the Kal El chip. In both GPU and CPU performance.

However it is posible that there could be a refresh in the phone before it comes stateside. They could release in on the MSM8960 Pro which uses the Adreno 320. i would like that very much. -CB

cosminmcm

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom]The Dual Core Snapdragon with the Adreno 225 will out preform the Quad core Tegra 3. The MSM8960 is the SOC being used and it trounced the Kal El chip. In both GPU and CPU performance. However it is posible that there could be a refresh in the phone before it comes stateside. They could release in on the MSM8960 Pro which uses the Adreno 320. i would like that very much. -CB[/citation]

Read the previous post. The international version doesn't have the Tegra 3.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
The above poster is right. The international S3 is using the 4412 chip and not Tegra 3. If Samsung wanted to bring Tegra3 processor into the NA version, they easily could have.

Currently waiting for the Galaxy Note 2 coming out Q4 this year with the Exynos 5250 chipset. I use to think smartphone screens shouldn't be smaller then 4inch nor bigger then 5inch, but after using the Galaxy Note, I just can't go back to anything smaller then 5inches.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Dual core ? tegra 3 ? wtf ?! isn't it suppose to be The Exynos 4 Quad which is clocked at 1.4GHz Cortex-A9? I mean seriously what am I missing?

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
If it was a quad-core -- like the international version -- and included 2GB of RAM, unlike the international version's 1GB(?) of RAM, then it'd be something to talk about. At this point, it's a pass for me.

G

Well if the Samsung Galaxy S3 is not a quadcore than there is no reason to get it over the HTC one X.

Status
Not open for further replies.