Solved! Game Programming Laptop

lightnin2211

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I am going to be joining a games development masters in the fall. I am looking for an all purpose laptop, but most importantly, one on which I will be doing a lot of programming (graphics programming will feature predominantly). Most programmers will know the importance of screen real-estate (although I will be hooking up an external monitor as well). Can anyone suggest a good 15-17 inch laptop and a 1080p screen with the following features?

- Processor - SB i5/i7 (preferably an i7, but willing to compromise)

- Graphics - A relatively good card for potentially graphics intensive work (not games)

Will AMDs LLano APUs with dual graphics be comparable for what I want?

- RAM - 6GB should be more than sufficient

- Blu-Ray drive (desirable, but not absolutely necessary)

- HDD - 7200 RPM. Size shouldn't matter if it's more than 500GB

The most important aspect for me is the screen size and 1080p resolution.

Price between $1200-$1300 would be ok.

So far, I have shortlisted the following laptops.

1) HP dv6tqe/dv7tqe (Little concerned about the lack of openGL support, as I will be programming with openGL for sure)

2) Dell XPS 15/17
3) Asus n73sv-a3
4) Asus g53sw

5) HP dv6zqe/dv7zqe (With Llano APUs)

Any suggestions?

lightnin2211

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Cheers for the replies. Does anyone know about the new Asus N73sv? Seems just what I want, although some reviews have complained about the build quality. Asus build quality is generally good right?

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
the asus n73sv is a great laptop. the only complaint ive seen so far is that the keyboard flexes a bit in the middle, but the guy who wrote that said it wasnt too bad and he got used to it quickly. i would go with the n73sv. i would probably say go with the i7

asus build quality is usually top notch

nocoloco

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

AMD A6/A8 will support OpenGL. ( Programming model for APU=programming model for Radeon )
This thread confirms: http://www.theoverclocker.com/?p=2989

I've ordered from HP and it ships tomorrow