Game Retailers Not Liking EA's Project $10 Tactics

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
IF YOU BUY THE GAME, IT'S YOUR RIGHT TO SELL IT TO WHOEVER YOU WANT EXACTLY THE WAY YOU BOUGHT IT. IT'S JUST LIKE SELLING A CAR. HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WENT TO SELL YOUR CAR, AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN THE THE COMPANY THAT MADE THE CAR SAID, OH, WELL WE ARE GONNA TAKE OUT THE ENGINE, AND THEY CAN PAY US FOR IT, YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND SELL THE EMPTY SHELL (as they are smiling like nothing is wrong).

THIS IS WRONG EA!!

ltgrunt

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Have you ever read an EULA, Dreamphantom? You don't own the game, you're just leasing it, under a very specific agreement between the developer, the publisher and yourself.

You own the box the game came in, and the other materials that came with it. At most, you might own the plastic disc that the game came on, but the game itself is completely and wholly owned by the publisher and/or developer.

You don't have the right to do whatever you want with any given game. You have a very specific list of rights which are enumerated in the End-User License Agreement or the Terms of Use.

G

I get a kick out of all these people complaining that Gamestop sells a used game for $5 less than the new price even though they bought it for $10-$15. In that case, the person buying the used game is an idiot. You're better off paying the $5 more for the new game and getting a brand new copy. If more people did this, then Gamestop would be forced to lower their used game prices to compete better against the new games.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
Yeah, giving you the option to get access to the DLC/content that you never would have had with a used copy because its attached the original owners account or whatever for $10 that most of you apparently don't even care about is ripping you off.

Step away from the keyboard for a moment and think about that before you fly off the handle again.

This is equivilent to complaining someone else bought a DLC that gives them a different skin in MP and complaining the publisher is ripping you off because you want it too and have to pay $10 to get it.

If you don't want that DLC this in no way affects you.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
Adding to that, the only problem I even see used game retailers having a problem with this is the fact it might entice consumers to just buy the game new instead used if they want that DLC and the price wouldn't be much different.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
If this catches on, you will have to insert a username and a password to start your second-hand car, your cell phone, etc...

Game publishers are just trying to take advantage of a market they can't yet control, but surely want to. But they are not lowering retail prices of new games so you can make up the difference by buying the additional content online, are they ?

The problem is, they are focused on greed and stop seeing what's important and that this might actually hurt them.

They should just charge less for each new game sold. I don't know how many of you do do this, but I only buy games a year after they come out, usually when they are at 19,99 Euros. I simply cannot afford 60 or 50 euros for a game. They complain about piracy but don't see that they cannot coerce people into buying overpriced games. And that is a fact they cannot resolve.

Either way, if they want to "play this game", let's do this: buy a new game, create an e-mail account for using with that game, create your profile using that account. When you sell the game second hand, give the account details along with the game; the store or the individual buyer checks online to see if you haven't tampered the account/changed the password, changes it to sometinhg different, gives you the money and the next buyer has the same rights as you, because he's using your former account. That easy, I guess. Or am I missing something ?

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ltgrunt[/nom]Have you ever read an EULA, Dreamphantom? You don't own the game, you're just leasing it, under a very specific agreement between the developer, the publisher and yourself.You own the box the game came in, and the other materials that came with it. At most, you might own the plastic disc that the game came on, but the game itself is completely and wholly owned by the publisher and/or developer.You don't have the right to do whatever you want with any given game. You have a very specific list of rights which are enumerated in the End-User License Agreement or the Terms of Use.[/citation]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but, this situation is more like buying a new car, trading it in for a different model, then the guy buying it used crying about not getting the free 6 months of XM radio that came with the NEW car.

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I just can't see how people can realistically cry foul on EA for wanting to get paid for the extra content and connectivity that comes with a new game. How is it fair for a dozen people to all get the same EXTRA content as the original owner for no extra cost? That extra content cost money to produce, implement and distribute.

By the reasoning I am seeing in this thread, companies are wrong for selling expansion packs to games as well. How many of you foul callers buy and Xpac than get angry because you need to by the original game to go with it.... "what do you mean I need to buy the original game for the Xpac to work... XXX company is a bunch of greedy thieves" LOL.... really.... think about what you are crying foul over.... Boohoo EA is greedy because they don't want to give me something for nothing....

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
yeah, when I am done with a game I trade up to a NEW game. If the value of my games goes lower it won't be worth trading them in or buying used games at all. This just means I'll be buying less games overall and I could see how this could lead many to turn to piracy. Personally I will make sure the game is rated at about 9.0 or higher out of 10 before I even consider buying it because obviously once that money is spent on a game you won't be getting much back on a trade/resell.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
These game developers are really starting to piss me off. Not so much the game designers, but the people at the top of the corporate ladder's who make these stupid decisions. I swear they are brain dead. It's so stupid. The whole game industry is messed up cuz all they think about is ways to rape the honest consumer out of money.

1. DRM - This only hurt the honest consumer, because all the people who pirated the game didn't have drm on it. So it hurt the game, Yet they still use DRM, and it's getting worse. PERSON HURT- honest consumer

I bought the original bioshock not knowing about the DRM that was on it.
I didn't buy the second one. Even though I wanted to play it, I refuse to buy it because of the drm. Plenty of non drm games out there.

2. Consoles vs. pc's - I am a pc person. I love the pc- and I am so sick of going into the store, and they have 3 friggin isles of wii, xbox 360, ps3, ect. ect. ect. but pc games have two small racks off on it's own in another part of the store. Then you go to buy a graphics card (2009), and all they have is a geforce 5200 "pci" card.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but could this possible be the reason why pc games aren't doing so well compared to the console?

At least BestBuy supports us. (it's the only retail store i buy my games at now).

3. And, recently i've noticed a lot of pc ports. Keep on pushing those crappy consoles- they are gonna be obsolete soon anyways.Bad Ports ruin it for pc gamers. I really wish these devs would just support everyone and let the consumers pick which system they want instead of trying to push us into systems with exclusive titles. Look what happened to GTAIV because of it.

4. now they are starting to ruin the used game market.

Bravo F&*@#ERS!!

All these decisions are from people who don't care about gaming, they don't care about us gamers, they only care about money. Even if they are making millions a year, it's still not enough. They need to clean the $#!+ out from there ears and start listening to the community. It's like we don't have a voice anymore.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Lavacon[/nom]I am loving these used game to other item comparisons.... really... they fall flat.EA provides content and the ability to play multiplayer games on their network. Why shouldn't they get paid for this service? I would rather see this than a monthly subscription to play Madden.Does a car mfg get a cut of a used car sale? No... Do they provide the road to drive it on? NO...Access to said road?? NO.. Does a MFG get a cut of a used TV? No... do they provide the electricity? NO.. The cable service? NO...The days of NES and playstation games are over. Game publisher provide a heck of a lot more now then they ever did. They should be compensated.. no matter how much you dislike the company. I'm not against used games, but, I don't think you should get all the perks for nothing. Buying a game New once shouldn't provide the next 5 people to have the same access as when it was new. 5 sales that generate NOTHING for anyone but the game reseller. Shops like gamestop are lucky they have not been asked to pay this fee directly, because really... for what they charge... they should.[/citation]

What you're saying doesn't add up. It would make sense if you said that two people at the same time could drive the same car, or play the same copy of the game, but since that is not either physically or legally allowed, I don't think you have a point at all.

It does not make a difference to EA's servers if it is me or someone else I sold the game to that is using their services.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
For those of you that are confused. It's not going to be $10 for a used game. It will be whatever used price is PLUS $10. Thus meaning a game is worth $10 LESS as a used game than it was worth before. If you would have recieved $25 from gamestop for a game they will likely now only give you $15. Meaning your used games are worth less money. The used game prices plus the $10 added will be about the same (total) as they are today. Basically this gives NO benefit to the consumer and is a perfect example of how corporations are overrun with greed. They really only care about making shareholders happy.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Oh, just FYI to anyone who thinks i'm just someone who likes complaining and don't know what I'm talking about, Last year I bought around 30 games for the pc. About 10 retail and about 20 on steam. I spend on average between 500-1000 on my pc a year not including games. I also bought a wii for my wife, wich I play once in awhile. And I work in a pawnshop and even though I prefer the pc, I play the ps3 and the xbox360 alot because we don't have any gaming pc's at my work. If we did I would by more pc games.

I don't believe in pirating games. It's wrong cuz it hurts the game designers.

My point is, I am an honest consumer, and these decisions aren't effecting game pirates, they are effecting all the people who really love gaming, and the people who spend there hard earned money on games.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]ltgrunt[/nom]Have you ever read an EULA, Dreamphantom? You don't own the game, you're just leasing it, under a very specific agreement between the developer, the publisher and yourself.You own the box the game came in, and the other materials that came with it. At most, you might own the plastic disc that the game came on, but the game itself is completely and wholly owned by the publisher and/or developer.You don't have the right to do whatever you want with any given game. You have a very specific list of rights which are enumerated in the End-User License Agreement or the Terms of Use.[/citation]

Really, do you sign that before or after you pay for the game? As I recall it's on the inside of the box on the disc not on the outside of the box. OH, and selling a used game, is selling the "physical disc" with the game on it that you purchased. If you buy it, you should be able to resell it.

READ THIS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM FIGHTING FOR? I am not trying to say this is the law, I am saying this is wrong, and I am standing on this side of the fence, and people should speak up and go against this cuz it hurts the honest consumers. I know what the eula is, cuz I see it everytime I install my game. And it doesn't mean it's right, it just means this is what the law said. And I am using my freedom of speech to voice my opinion in a democratic way against this because I believe it is wrong to do.

Should I just keep quite and let these people rule the world and bow down to them?

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]What you're saying doesn't add up. It would make sense if you said that two people at the same time could drive the same car, or play the same copy of the game, but since that is not either physically or legally allowed, I don't think you have a point at all.It does not make a difference to EA's servers if it is me or someone else I sold the game to that is using their services.[/citation]

Did I miss ignorance 101 in college? It makes perfect sense. EA does provide content and connectivity on THEIR network using THEIR resources. Why shouldn't they be compensated? They are providing service above and beyond "just the disc" and when you buy a used game, you are buying "just the disc".

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
It's our opinions and bitching and complaining and fighting things that make people think and change there minds. Then eventually, maybe change the laws. But if no one complains, then nothing gets changed.

G

I have friends that work at gaming companies and I would like to remind everyone that they make good money designing these games that you all want to play. They support their families and the economy with that money and they deserve to make a profit when they make something that people like.

On the other hand, I think EA who is pretty much really just a distributor skims profits from the top and should rethink how they get people to play. Look at Valve's The Orange Box, they give you two other smaller games, one of which you can continue to play online with friends, Team Fortress 2. You'll pry that game out of my cold dead hands, because Team Fortress 2 continues to be fun on multiplayer, which means more people will want to keep it rather than trade it in. Problem solved.

Or EA could lower the price of a new game by $10 to offset charging used gamers $10 to use their used game. Making new games more affordable at the expense of gamestop.

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]For those of you that are confused. It's not going to be $10 for a used game. It will be whatever used price is PLUS $10. Thus meaning a game is worth $10 LESS as a used game than it was worth before. If you would have recieved $25 from gamestop for a game they will likely now only give you $15. Meaning your used games are worth less money. The used game prices plus the $10 added will be about the same (total) as they are today. Basically this gives NO benefit to the consumer and is a perfect example of how corporations are overrun with greed. They really only care about making shareholders happy.[/citation]

You should reread "Project $10"

I'll help you....

EA's "Project Ten Dollar" first appeared in last year's Dragon Age and, more recently, in Mass Effect 2. While gamers buying those games used will still have a good experience, they'll have to fork over ten dollars to get access to all the same things that the original owners had.

If the next buyer wants all of the perks of a NEW copy, they will have to pay extra. Some of you are making it seem like they are adding $10 to the price of every used game. They are not. Seems to me that some of you are more greedy then the people who you accuse of being greedy, wanting extra things for nothing. Why should the guy buying the used game from gamestop get the same perks/bonus as the guy who bought the game new? Do you think when you buy a new car and get free oil changes for a year that that offer is extended to the next owner of the car? Not very likely. I admit that with the auto industry where it is at the moment, it may not be such a bad idea, but, that's not the point.....

G

You guys are all missing the point. Sony and EA going green. Kind of like how 24 hour fitness was "going green" by taking away paper towels from the bathrooms in order to save our planet (no comment).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS