Games Lagging With More Than 3 devices Over Wifi

Sigmawaffle

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
When there are more than three devices connected to my WIFI network it lags the games I play on my PC which is connected over through an ethernet cable. How do I fix this?

Solution
Meaning that you use QoS to give your computer priority over the other network devices - correct?

Is your ethernet cable directly between router and your computer? No wall outlets or switches involved? Try another known working ethernet cable - Cat 5e.

Verify that your computer's wired ethernet adapter is correctly configured to match your router. Try manually matching the configuration versus "auto negotiate". Duplex and speed for example. If "manual", try auto.

Use Task Manager to observe other apps, processes, and services running on your computer. May be some program running in the background and trying to phone home, do some backup, or maintenance of some sort. May be consuming network related resources but grabbing...
Even though wired is inherently faster than wireless you still must consider the total volume of traffic throughout your network.

Performance will only be as fast as the slowest component.

A single bottleneck - your router most likely - will slow the network. Could be at its' limits now or there could be some configuration error or mismatch causing performance to degrade.

Depending on the router make and model you may be able to give your wired device some priority over wireless devices via QoS settings.

Find the router's User Guide/Manual and see what such options may be available.

Do be aware that you need administrative rights to the router's configuration screens. If you do not have the rights then you need to work with whomever has those rights.

Sigmawaffle

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

Even when I do use QoS it still slows down.
Edit: It's only my computer that lags as well, everything else on the network is perfectly fine.

Meaning that you use QoS to give your computer priority over the other network devices - correct?

Is your ethernet cable directly between router and your computer? No wall outlets or switches involved? Try another known working ethernet cable - Cat 5e.

Verify that your computer's wired ethernet adapter is correctly configured to match your router. Try manually matching the configuration versus "auto negotiate". Duplex and speed for example. If "manual", try auto.

Use Task Manager to observe other apps, processes, and services running on your computer. May be some program running in the background and trying to phone home, do some backup, or maintenance of some sort. May be consuming network related resources but grabbing CPU, disk, or memory could have the same effect and thus slow your computer's performance.

Solution