GameStop: No Medal of Honor for Military Shops

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyboy161

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Well I find it funny that they have a problem with this game when we have had games for years in which you could kill a US soldier. Yes this war is much more fresh in everyone's minds then say WWII. BUT the concept is still the same. If they want to say that this game is disrespecting our US soldiers then we have been disrespecting US military veterans for years with WWII games in which you can kill a US soldier in multiplayer. I just think that this whole thing has been blown waaaaay out of proportion. I mean it is just a game. Right?

eberleeeee

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I know that in MW2 you play as OpFor (terrorists) and fight against american troops but don't put 2 and 2 together by the time the match is over anyway, I am just thinking about how the match went not if the Americans won...

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Has anyone asked the terrorists if they like being shot? Or the Germans for that matter?This is obviously a publicity stunt by a company looking to work on its corporate social responsibility.[/citation]
Well, I don't give a shit whether or not the terrorists care. Did those assholes ask the people in the world trade center if they wanted to be violently killed?
/rant
Anyway, I think the Germans are a little different, too... you're killing nazis in those games, not just Germans. I know citizens in Germany don't particularly like it, but you aren't just killing everyday people from Germany - you were killing people who loyally served Hitler.

Back on topic, I'd firstly like tho thank kingnoobe for serving. Secondly, how about Gamestop listens to the soldiers instead of the worthless person who did this? Now, I disagree with those saying it's right to kill Americans, but censoring it is one of the largest disrespects you can do to our Soldiers, especially when it's against their will.

[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]because America has become a country full of whiners, crybabies, lazy workers and overpaid useless executives. It's actually quite pathetic.[/citation]
Almost done talking... No, America hasn't become a country of all that. America has become a country where businesses have overruled the public opinion, and are speaking for its citizens through articles like this. If you read through this, we all want this game to be available everywhere. Have you ever seen the Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer?

"Corporations have more power than the government..."

/extremely long post

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I, too, am a US Army soldier and have been serving more than 25 years. This is just plain ol' stupid. It is a game, nothing more. Just a stinkin' game. Pixels aren't people....period. This insults my, and my fellow service-members', intelligence.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I'm a soldier in the Army and I don't find the content of MoH any more offensive than MW2 (in other words, not offended at all). I commend GameStop for trying to be respectful of the Servicemembers. But if I was still on post, I would just find another way to get the game because I like war games and I am a mature adult who can handle the mature content that comes with a game of that genre.

It doesn't bother me that you can play as the Taliban in a game and shoot at US Forces, because in real life, I know that US Forces f@ck their sh!t up any day of the week and twice on Sunday. So it's all good ;D

trekker9876

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
GameStop: No Medal of Honor for Military Shops
GameStop will not be selling the upcoming Call of Duty from

Is it COD or MOH?
Confused

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
As a veteran of the first gulf war, I think it is ridiculous that they would not sell this along side all of the other games out there. I would really like to know who this actually is offending. Not the soldiers on the bases I can guarantee that. If it's the politicians, then they really don't have a clue what it means being in the military along side your fellow soldiers.

tr1ppz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
"GameStop fully supports AAFES in this endeavour and is sensitive to the fact that in multiplayer mode one side will assume the role of Taliban fighter."
Did any of you actually read the article? The decision was made by the Army Airforce Exchange Service (AAFES) which is an agency of the Department of Defense. The person in charge of AAFES is an Army general.
It's the military's decision people. In the military you are not subject to the same laws and freedoms as civillians. That's why they have their own Judicial system. So spare me the whining about censorship and your rights being infringed upon. If your not in the service this decision doesn't affect you,and if you are then buy the damn game online or local retailer.
And any of you posters who are so called "in the army now", "as a soldier", or "was or in Afghanistan" should freakin know better!

G

This is ridiculous. We can play WW2 games as Nazis who were by far worse than the Taliban, and more cruel. Or we can play as evil cultist, torturing and murdering innocent people. Stop being so sensitive.

G

I'm a active duty Staff Sergeant in the Army and I find this laughable. If you are on an exercise and you are assigned the role of oppsoing force, you get to play the role of insurgent or "Taliban", and it is your job to "kill" your fellow soldiers. We have actual weapons that we point and shoot blanks or sometimes paintballs, while we are dressed in Arab garb yelling "Allah Ackbar". We call it training. "America's Army", the Army's own game had you playing the role of Taliban. Some people need to take their head out of their third point of contact.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Out of respect my ass. I'm in the army and currently in Afghan, if anything I find this more disrespectful. What you think I'm a freaking whiner that can't handle a game.[/citation]

You are a whiner and can't handle a little video game.

I don't see how people get offended by shooting a pixel.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Now we know how stupid they all are at Ea. Maybe they should make a game where the taliban shots just EA employee's, and get extra points for shooting EA management. Now theirs a game we all would like.

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Why do they need to play FPS at military bases? Can't they just "play" in real life? or do FPS games become Role Playing (RPG) for them?

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tr1ppz[/nom]"GameStop fully supports AAFES...

...And any of you posters who are so called "in the army now", "as a soldier", or "was or in Afghanistan" should freakin know better![/citation]

The military doesn't make decisions for EA. The AAFES requested it, and out of respect EA will go along with, but it was still EA's decision to do so. And it's still politics being played out.

As for the "so called" comment, do you feel proud disrespecting those that have or are currently serving the military to defend the freedoms that you have today? Sounds like you are the one that should "freakin' know better".

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
So many people think this is EA being sensitive. No it isn't they are "loosing" maybe 100-500 sales for free publicity such as this. Now more people will hear about the game because some local news channel will pick it up and make a story out of it. And people are sheep enough to think that a major game publisher has a soul and buy into this bullshivik. Thusly probably securing well over 500 copies to be sold to older gamers as well as parents buying the game because the publisher seems to have a mocidum of respect for "our trewpz".

Now as for soldiers playing games while deployed. It happens, it's called R&R. It ain't up to your CO to dictate if you play Halo, D&D, shoot hoops, play hockey, boxing (though that'll get you reprimanded pretty fast) eating Tim Hortons or shaking hands with the pope. It's R and R.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Oh, here we go with this "shooting Americans" thing again...[/citation]
Actually, it's supposedly just as offensive to ordinary people in the Middle East to have been classified as the generic bad-guy terrorist for the last 40 years in everything from TV shows, films, magazines, books and now video games.
We don't seem to mind very much that they are shot without a flicker of regard for the deeply racist nature of this kind of typecasting.

I am British, I have friends and family in the armed forces, they already said they couldn't care less if they play as Taliban shooting Royal Marines, they have already done it before when they play as terrorists in CS:S so this story is just yaaaawwwwwnnnn.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
When we shoot a virtual Arab terrorist it's not offensive, but shooting a virtual American is a problem? This sounds dangerously like denying racial equality. Sorry, it's too absurd for words.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
So, GameStop is trying to tell me its totally ok to shoot other people, just not Americans?

Its funny cuz you see Americans getting shot in movies and other media. All of sudden its not ok for game?

rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.