GameStop Sued Over Misleading Used Game Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
We can't tell how much he knew when he bought the game. We can readily assume he was ignorant, but not necessarily stupid. Just because we all know how the DLC works, doesn't mean that he did. Perhaps he was, or felt, deceived, but unless he's got eyewitness testimony that a Gamestop sales droid lied to him, there probably wasn't any malice; hence I agree that punitive damages are not appropriate. What ought to come of this is that Gamestop will be required to put a prominent label on all used games describing how they differ from new; i.e. what you don't get that you would get with a new copy.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I've always questioned who would actually buy a used game if the new game is only 5$ more...

I understand buying used games if they save you money, say 30$ instead of 60$, but really $55 instead of $60?

Though, you can't really blame game stop in that regard. If I owned a store and people would be willing to buy a used copy for near retail prices then I'd be selling them at the ridiculous prices too.

Supply vs demand, consumers dictate product pricing, not the retailers. The retailers 'suggests' a price, if the product sells then they've succeeded, if the product fails then the price generally goes down.

underpatch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
this was just EA`s attempt at putting DRM on a console game ... (DRM has always been about killing the second hand games market ... not to fight pirates as they would have you believe )... you cant put DRM on consoles because it is a closed system ... so the next best thing ship part of your game separately so only the first time users can get the full game ... sure you could pass part of that game to the next user but it will only be part of it ... unless you pay what EA`s makes roughly per game sale anyway ....

i knew this was going to happen when i read about their plans for the first time ... and i knew that the second hand game seller would get the blame as well .... i raely did see this coming a mile off ....

and for those who dont think i am correct ... ask yourself this ... how come these games usually have "free" DLC the day (or at least very close to the day) of release .... the answer is a simple one ... because those where bits of the game they simply did not ship with the disk so they can kill the value of the game after the first user is done with it ....

my 5c anyway ....

G

As a former GS manager, I can say that their profit margins appear higher than they really are. If the price to purchase from the supply chain were lower, then we would see new releases drop below the standard $59.99.

As it is, the supply chain prices aren't going anywhere. In fact, operational overhead is steadily increasing. A true profit margin would take into account more than the cost of a retailer to purchase the product. It would consider overhead.

Since Mr. Collins has a beef with GS, he is going to try to stay as far away from the facts as possible. Inflating numbers is the easiest way to prove an invalid point.

GS cannot be held responsible for a customer's ignorance. The only thing they should offer Mr. Collins is to buy his game for the used value. That's all he deserves. Anything more than that would be the result of GameStop's having pity on such a n00b.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I agree they should be made to clearly state that on the package. My son recently bought a used game with his mom and paid 54.95 for it. I would have just paid the extra 5 bucks and got a new one if I had been there, I don't game, but 5 bucks is no real savings anyway.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]naythinbrynt[/nom]As a former GS manager, I can say that their profit margins appear higher than they really are. If the price to purchase from the supply chain were lower, then we would see new releases drop below the standard $59.99. As it is, the supply chain prices aren't going anywhere. In fact, operational overhead is steadily increasing. A true profit margin would take into account more than the cost of a retailer to purchase the product. It would consider overhead. Since Mr. Collins has a beef with GS, he is going to try to stay as far away from the facts as possible. Inflating numbers is the easiest way to prove an invalid point. GS cannot be held responsible for a customer's ignorance. The only thing they should offer Mr. Collins is to buy his game for the used value. That's all he deserves. Anything more than that would be the result of GameStop's having pity on such a n00b.[/citation]

and now he is the manager of a Best Buy.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Don't sell your used games at GameStop, it's not worth the low price they pay. Instead use craigslist OR if you live in the middle of nowhere use eBay and start with free shipping and a 1 cent opening bid, then you will get bidders to fight over the price and you'll be much more likely to sell and for MUCH more than GameStop would give you.

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Anyone who buys a used game thinking the DLC code is still good is an idiot. I have bought used games before and if the DLC is that important, I will check to see if it is still in there and whether it has been used, otherwise I buy new.

This lawsuit will be dismissed. Those "promises" for DLC are not being made by Gamestop but rather the publisher. I don't see them being held responsible for something they did not promise.

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Wow im the luckiest guy ever, I always get "the last copy" of a game every time I used to buy at game stop. The clerk always takes the game from a bag and put it inside of the all worn off box in display and charge me full price. I have like 12 games from them and always the same drill. Thats why I buy at other places now. Developers always send display boxes for the stores, like the ones they use to announce comming soon games. Hope they loose and stop selling used games as new games.

AntiCommie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I've always questioned who would actually buy a used game if the new game is only 5$ more...I understand buying used games if they save you money, say 30$ instead of 60$, but really $55 instead of $60?Though, you can't really blame game stop in that regard. If I owned a store and people would be willing to buy a used copy for near retail prices then I'd be selling them at the ridiculous prices too.Supply vs demand, consumers dictate product pricing, not the retailers. The retailers 'suggests' a price, if the product sells then they've succeeded, if the product fails then the price generally goes down.[/citation]

I'd rather not have any more stickers on my used game boxes. How about just a sign at checkout. Seriously, how many people expect a full new game at used prices? Thats the problem with the US these days. No one is responsible for anything. He had 7 days to return it with no questions asked (I "rent" gamestop games all the time to see if its worth the purchase). He also could have asked. If anything, he should include EA/Bioware in on the suit since they are the ones refusing to give him the same treatment they give to people that purchase the game new. They sold that game once already and made money on it. If the person didnt like it and traded it already, arent they not going to be using the DLC?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
as an employee there for 10 years! let me tell you this. This company is by far the closest thing to slave labor you can get. iafter 10 years, the only time i ever got a real raise was when the minimum wage was past what i was making. so i made minmum wage after 10 years. Store managers average under $3.00 /hr on salary. This company is PUUUURRE evil an nobody is EVER going to hold them responsible. How can a company that had 9 BILLION dollars in revenue only generate 350 million in profit in 2009? Simple, they are cooking teh books and the governmetn will never do anything to stop them. It's wall street all over again(which never changed, they are still unmanaged and never held responsible). If you want something to change, vote out whoever is in office. VOTE INDEPENDANT.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
In addition, the customer who bought the game new for $59.99, sold the game back to GameStop, most likely got $20.00 for it, then GameStop resells the game used for $54.99... Which makes the rip-off even worse...

nahdogg

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I hate Game stop, offered me like 50 cents for a NEW Sealed Game that was a gift (no reciept) when they're selling it used for 20$ on the shelf. I ebayed it. What drives me bonkers is that I see a line of people trading in stacks of games and taking 10$ store credit. If you ever want to get a bunch of games cheap "shop" around whilst listening to the obsurd offers at the counter and when you see something you want offer a few bucks more in cash.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Gaming companies love to see that you now have to pay even more money for more stuff that should of been included to begin with.

if i see a game like this i will never buy it.and if you do buy used games you should know better and do your homework.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
5$ off is a rip off for a used game. There are plenty of games I would like to buy used and not new and would not mind not having DLC, or paying for DLC in the future, but 5$ off is a rip-off.

I'm stuck buying XBOX games through them, but all my PC purchases are made through Steam now.

Xaios

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
While Gamestop certainly isn't an altruist organization, this person could have made the same claim if he'd bought a used copy at any pawn shop.

Besides the fact, he really didn't suffer any economic loss. Dragon Age's DLC wasn't being technically a part of the original game, it was simply EA saying "Hey, you bought a new copy? Have some free DLC." It comes down to someone who buys the game new getting more than what they paid for.

So, in essence, he's suing Gamestop because he didn't get more than what he paid for. Jackass.

Status
Not open for further replies.