GameStop Sued Over Misleading Used Game Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepetey

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Good! Used games are totally over-priced!

Im sick of hearing "Oh is that (insert relatively new game) for the ps3/xbox/pc, ill give you $5 for it... packaging alone is worth more. Sigh.

Go Lawyers

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I think it should be clearly labelled. It seems like they're trying to "get away with" not telling customers what they're (not)getting, which is bad form in my books.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
haha; just posted this on the othe Gamestop article...

i think the CEO of GS should do the Undercover Boss show LoL improve his lame stores b4 they go out of business.

G

Good intentions, but the case is a loser. Used is used is used. If I go to the dump and find a Cracker Jacks box, can I sue when there is no prize inside? Nope. Sorry.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
That's why I w ill not buy used from Game Stop. No real savings for buying used games. I once saw used BK games go for the same price as a new BK games.

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
When are we no longer responsible for doing a little research? Im sure someone on the box it states that a code is given to download the DLC....

Why does every retard need to be protected from his own stupidity. If you don't like gamestop don't go. I think they should refund his $55 bucks and then he should get charged court costs.

Dumbass.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Gamestop's policy is a bad one, but why should this guy be entitled to punitive or compensatory damages in excess of what he paid for the used game? His loss is purely economical; he doesn't deserve to be put in a better economic position than he was before he bought the game.

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be a bigger loss to the developers who receive NO compensation on used games at all? If anything, selling it 5$ less and having that massive profit gain without any money going to the publisher should be illegal in the first place.

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
All bar soap now must state that it will not remove syphilis gained from excessive Facebook F*cking...

I should sell Honda cuz I was not aware I needed to put gas in my car upon ownership. I should have been warned!!!

G

Personally I think you are already screwing yourself by purchasing a used game for $5 less than a new game. If you really need to save the money, you can buy the game brand new online with free shipping for even less.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I think both parties are at fault here.

Gamestop didn't actively put a "stupid warning" on its used boxes.

Mr. Collins went beyond his window of opportunity to return the product (if anyone else is like me, they probably install the day of purchase or a day after).

Furthermore, I would bet Mr. Collins knew about the one time use key and is contriving the story to make a buck off Gamestop.

I read the entire .pdf file and it sounds like Mr. Collins did a bit research regarding profit margins on resale (disclaimer: I can't determine if this was before or after the incident). The suit comes off as whiny and jealous in most sense.

I'm not trying to defend Gamestop here, but "restitution, punitive damages for fraud, and numerous other compensatory damages." c'mon...

If you don't like what they charge, go elsewhere. Steam had it on sale for 33% last week.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I maybe wrong, but I could have sworn when I bought my new copies of DA:O and Mass Effect 2 that it clearly states somewhere on the back of the box...

**Free downloadable content avalible with new game purchase.**

I'm a PC Gamer so maybe my boxes were different but I'm pretty sure it states something on the box. Falls under buyer beware, it's not up to the retailer to inform the consumer unless its a controlled commodity like medication. If you buy used it's YOUR risk.

kujitsu

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
lol I wonder what price you expect when a relatively new game gets traded in. 20 bucks used if its still 60 new? lol Usually when new games come out, its automatically worth HALF of what it's new price is. If it's a crappy, not so popular game, of course you'll get less, and it'll be cheaper used. It all depends on the popularity of the game and how many is traded in to gamestop.

If it's a hard to find game at gamestop, of course you'll get moer for it, and of course it'll be pretty expensive.. lol

Most of you that have grudges against gamestop and other video game retailers are usually the idiots who don't read the receipt on return policies, etc.

AntiCommie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
In this case, I actually hope Gamestop wins. While their new release used games are a ripoff, their older used games are generally fair. They also have a good return policy.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
It doesn't say anything on the back of my box (ME2:CE) but it does say on the cards the numbers are on that they are one-time use.

You used to be lucky to get a manual or box with your used game before and this guy is whining over some DLC that he still has the option to get that he appears to want so badly.

It's not GameStop's fault he left it lying around for the entire return window and all they would really need to do is extend the current warning to cover the DLC.

"This pre-owned product is guaranteed to work and may not include an instruction manual or original box. "

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
hmmmm... does Gamestop send royalties the publishers/ distributors a second time? How does that work? Does the whole revenue stream go thru again from top to bottom? OR is Gamestop taking it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.