GameStop to Sell Digital Downloads in Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I won't I'll use it at all. There's no incentive to physically go to their store to make the exact same purchase I can with a few clicks without leaving my home.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Why didn't they keep some room in their damn stores for physical pc games first place. That would have slowed the pace of digital downloads for pc games.

redhotbd

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I'm afraid this was done in preparation for the launch of BF3. EA will make this a digital download at Gamestop which can then only be accessed through EA's Origin. Why EA, why do you have to keep BF3 away from Steam? So many ppl (including myself) only use Steam to purchase PC games. EA is going to lose sales just because of this fact.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
lol, what's the point? I'd rather prefer Steam or buy a DVD... how stupid is it to drag yourself to the store to buy the same digital download? I'd only do that if there're no other methods to buy the game.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]I won't I'll use it at all. There's no incentive to physically go to their store to make the exact same purchase I can with a few clicks without leaving my home.[/citation]
Actually, it means you can buy a download only game with cash, for those who either don't have a credit card or are unwilling to use on online.

Also, if Gamestop didn't do this they would eventually have to close stores and let staff go as the market inevitable moves to digital distribution.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]I won't I'll use it at all. There's no incentive to physically go to their store to make the exact same purchase I can with a few clicks without leaving my home.[/citation]

Actually, it would be a good option for those without credit cards.

bionicRod

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I'll probably use it. I game on consoles as well as the PC and regularly trade in games for other games. I like the idea of using store credit to buy a digital download.

G

I would, because i have cash money that my wife doesn't know about that i could use there, if i do it on the net she will know i have money :)

G

My Gamestop is right next door to the grocery market and a Del Taco. So its conceivable I may wander in one day and lay down some real cash for a digital download.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The only thing I used to go to gamestop for was used games purchases. Now if Gamestop started offering buy a used game get the DLC free then I might actually start going back.

G

The problem is this. People dont just go to steam because its digital and makes things simpler. People go to steam because its a great multiplayer platform and has crazy rocket high sales. Thats why shops like gamestop is losing sales. While I respect that they are still trying, it wont be long before Steam or EA Origins (hopefully its good) will dominate the PC platform. Games for windows live? what games for windows live?

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I made use of it 2 weeks ago so this is old news for me. My son who loves COD:BO wanted to buy the latest map pack. I refuse to give Microsoft my cc# so we went to a gamestop to buy a MS points card. Clerk informed us we could by the digital download directly from gamestop and no need to waste money on extra points. So I paid directly for the digital download and he printed me a receipt with a code on it. We went home, logged into his live account, entered code, and bam he was good to go.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Many people here also seem to be forgetting that (although they may offer released games digitally too) this is primarily about pre-order games.

Believe it or not they do still have some PC game traffic, although I have to admit I haven't been in some time due to the dwindling selection there. So I think they are just trying to save what clientele they still have and maybe catch a few of the console kids that are there regularly too.

I don't think this is to get more people to come in the door. It is for people who have already walked in the door; they want to offer those people the digital convenience to keep from losing the sale altogether. If those people like the idea of not having to go back to the store to get their pre-ordered game (and they will) then it could easily be worth the effort of the new program and possibly offer a transition path towards more and more online content.

I really do hope they partner with existing digital channels though, and not start their own.

gbair

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Now, if it allowed you to download the game/dlc in the store, that would be great for many people that would otherwise wait days or even longer for such a download to be accomplished.

foxchild

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Actually, it means you can buy a download only game with cash, for those who either don't have a credit card or are unwilling to use on online.Also, if Gamestop didn't do this they would eventually have to close stores and let staff go as the market inevitable moves to digital distribution.[/citation]
Makes me think of Gamefly and Netflix v.s. Blockbuster Video.

Status
Not open for further replies.