Gamification: It's Like Playing Diablo For Everything You Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This idea has been around a long time, I've incorporated aspects in my website work but in the end tricking users into behaving how you want them to behave with little carrots is difficult to pull off in many realms without being spotted for what it is.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Of course gamification has been around for a long time, and will likely grow. I think that the most natural place for it to continue its growth is in education. I mean, take a look at what Khan Academy is doing. For better or worse (and I really think it could be either), I think that is the future of K-12 education.

I think that the challenge is that although gamification can increase engagement and motivation, it changes the underlying type of engagement and motivation. The goal becomes to do well at the game, rather than to excel at the job, education, etc.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]danawesome89[/nom]Of course gamification has been around for a long time, and will likely grow. I think that the most natural place for it to continue its growth is in education. I mean, take a look at what Khan Academy is doing. For better or worse (and I really think it could be either), I think that is the future of K-12 education.I think that the challenge is that although gamification can increase engagement and motivation, it changes the underlying type of engagement and motivation. The goal becomes to do well at the game, rather than to excel at the job, education, etc.[/citation]
I could see someone losing their perspective quite quickly.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Quit using Diablo 3 as example. it's staggering sales does not indicate it is good, look at COD for example that game is a pile of steamy turd. It just just massive due to over hyped marketing schemes. Diablo 3 is TRASH. have a good day

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Gamification can easily be applied to military campaigns. Armed drones already exist so only a more consumer-friendly interface is needed. Targets can be serviced without the typical military logistics overhead. With real-time CGI and video editing, opponent visuals can be adjusted to suit the prejudices of the players so it won't matter if the targets are terrorists, racial minorities, liberals, Tea Party members, or the crack dealers down the street. Players won't know who the actual targets are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmASMpmQJqg

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
if it is like diablo 3 it means that you dont have to work if all the office logs the same day!!! it will crash the office, and since its always online you wont be able to work from your home, even when you have everything you need to do it!!!!

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
No. Just...No. "Gamification" is just a buzzword to describe manipulation and/or exploitation without having to call it what it is.
Somewhere there is a borg-like mind looking at earth thinking "they make such excellent drones."

G

My issue with gamification is the risk of further lowering the ability of the next generation to put in effort into intrinsically rewarding tasks, or to put in effort not expecting immediate gratification.

G

jtt283 is right on. The problem with existing gamification systems in the enterprise is that they are mind-numbing Pavlovian reward systems -- "push button 10 times and a treat comes out." Simply counting up activities to award badges is easy to game and tells you little about what businesses truly need to learn about how people work together. And they're needlessly competitive in the workplace. A business's competition is well, their competitors, not their employees. All of that is fine, even preferred, when manipulating customers on your public web site, but inside the corporate walls, it's altogether another ball of wax.

After "playing" with some of these apps on my team of web designers, we set about developing something that took a different tack. What if the reward system was all about incentivizing people to help teammates, develop real skills instead of badges and congratulate each other for accomplishments? Then the system is put in service of supporting the team. We've run it with good results on internal projects, and have just released it to the public. Give it a whirl here: http://propstoyou.com

ibboard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Give people a metric (like the number of tweets to get a "reward") and they'll game the system as much as playing the game. They'll do just enough on each goal and no more. They'll aim for their goals and the technicalities of what the minimum requirements are at the expense of the real purpose.

G

@ibboard Unless you incorporate a hidden achievements system which offers high rewards, then put the possible awards up for everyone to see, but all of them left guessing at how to acquire them.

If the gamification implementor doesn't bring creativity and freshness to the game, it will obviously fail to meet its purpose. Game designers may find some new job openings in their future ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.