gaming headset vs non gaming

UnrezolvedKaos

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015
I'm looking at the Sennheiser pc 363d and their hd 600 or 650. I am mostly going to be using them for gaming. A Mic does not matter because I have a snowball Mic. I am mostly looking at sound quality between the 3. Thanks!

Solution
You are looking at the wrong stuff if you already have a mic and want sound quality.

Give me your budget, your listening environment, and any other headphone preferences you can think of.

EDIT **

Oh, you didn't mention, what will you be using these with? Console, PC, mobile device?

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
You are looking at the wrong stuff if you already have a mic and want sound quality.

Give me your budget, your listening environment, and any other headphone preferences you can think of.

EDIT **

Oh, you didn't mention, what will you be using these with? Console, PC, mobile device?

Solution

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

The 600 and 650s are good but they require a good DAC, AMP, and a quiet environment. They are also bass shy, which turns off many people.

martinch

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
Well, Sennheiser's HD600 series used to be their top-of-the-line audiophile-grade headphones (£260 a few years ago), so they're going to be some of their better ones (although I seem to remember them being 300 Ohm resistance, so make sure your sound device can handle that). Also, the HD600's are open-backed, so whilst they'll have a good sound stage, they'll leak sound out, and let sound in (i.e. have little noise isolation) - not saying this is bad, just something to bear in mind.

From talking with a co-worker who's an audiophile, they reckon Sennheiser's headphones (unlike their in-ear monmitors) are a bit lacking (flat), especailly when compared to others (they rate Grado), and not as comfortable as they look.

From what i've read around, gaming headsets are generally of compromised quality, and you're better off getting "real" headphones.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

You pretty much nailed it. I will add the even though the 600 and 650s are good, they are overpriced. I wouldn't call them that fun of a headphone for everyday use either.

Just need to know the OP's preferences so I can recommend a set to suite his/her needs.

in case you all did not know... the pc363d is based on real hifi headphones (the 555/595 to be exact) and is not in the same league as most "gaming headsets". the same can be said for the mmx300 from beyerdynamic. both are very good sounding headsets with good microphones but they are also quite overpriced with rather poor bass response and for the money there are certainly much better choices out there.

the hd600/hd650 are very good headphones and offer a more "realistic" sound due to a fairly flat response. they are more smooth sounding and certainly not as harsh as some other cans can be with highs. perhaps not as fast or articulate but certainly "good" for people who find other choices a bit too harsh or fatiguing and want something which is more easy-listening. the reason they seem a bit light is due to the mid-bass being quite a bit more pronounced than sub-bass levels. overpriced? i'll say yes to that but that doesnt mean they are bad cans.

the dt990 will have crisper more detailed highs (however some people like the hd600/650 because they find this fatiguing) and more bass response, though it also has a deficit when it comes to mids (v-shaped sound profile) while the hd600/650 will have some good mids.

the dt880 is a flat response like the hd600/650 though about $100 cheaper.

the ad500x/700x/900x have wide soundstages, great crisp highs/mids but poor (though accurate) bass response. good for gaming but not the most enjoyable cans for appreciating sound. they give a slight advantage in fps gaming since you can hear footsteps easier (the same can be said with many akg cans)

as for what is best for you, as thor suggested... we need to know what kind of sound profile you are expecting and what you need out of your headphones.