Gaming Laptop Advice Needed

rdcast123

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Hello everyone!

My current computer specs:
$400, four-year-old HP laptop
Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz, 2159 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Drive: C:
Description: Local Fixed Disk
Compressed: No
File System: NTFS
Size: 441.91 GB (474,497,785,856 bytes)
Free Space: 359.49 GB (385,998,581,760 bytes)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)...4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory..................3.89 GB
Available Physical Memory............1.37 GB
Total Virtual Memory....................7.89 GB
Available Virtual Memory..............4.70 GB
Page File Space...........................4.00 GB

I saw no video/graphics-card, in my laptop.

With the above specs, my current laptop, in gaming programs, often logs-out from the game. Lagging and global slow operation plague my online experience.

I need expert recommendations for a new gaming laptop, that will out-perform my expectations.

My suggested baseline Specs:
17" Laptop (a must).
Processor: Advanced.
Fast/Large SSD with no second HDD, if practical.
Fast 32 GB RAM
Powerful video/graphics card.
Adequate cooling system.
Backlit keyboard.
Preferable total cost: $1,500 or less, if realistic.

I first researched and chose Newegg to "customize" a laptop. Final cost, $1,721. That was substantially above my stated budget of $1,500. Once having placed the order and payment was transferred, I then discovered that Newegg could not vouch for the compatibility of its components. And instead of customizing the laptop for me, they required that they ship me the RAM to install myself and to call the vendor for compatibility issues. I canceled the order.

9SIAAPK5RB8261 MSI GP72X Leopard Pro BUNDLE - 17.3" FHD 120Hz 5ms 94% NTSC | Upgraded 512GB SSD | Intel i7-7700HQ | Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) | 1TB 7200RPM HDD | Windows 10 Home - Retail | $1,539.00
Plus:
20-232-155 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Laptop Memory Model F4-2400C16S-16GRS - Retail | $182.99
System Final Total: $1,721.99

Next, I went directly to their vendor Xotic-PC who did a better job of "customizing" but after the transfer of payment again, they informed me that the manufacturer no longer provided the product, and had to cancel the order. This occurred after much foofaraw about payment type being my credit card had flagged the large sum.

MSI GP72X LEOPARD PRO-622
System Final Total: $1,807 including the following upgrades:
Cooling & Overclocking: 1 x IC Diamond Thermal Compound - GPU & CPU (XPC Service) $35.00
Ram: 1 x 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory $169.00
M.2 SATA / PCIe / NVMe SSD Drive Slot 1:
1 x 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (Read 3200MB/s - Write 1900MB/s) $204.00

I need expert advice without the bias, on how to best configure a gaming laptop suited to my needs without undue expense. Also, any suggestions for a good custom laptop supplier would be very helpful.

Thanks for any and all help,
Robert

rdcast123

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Thanks, vapour. All the experts concur with your assessment of 16gb vs 32gb memory. As for your wonderful laptop recommendation, I prefer a 17.3 in.

The following are my choices based on information I've gathered from several forums, including this one.

SAGER NP8372 Notebook

- 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor ( 6MB Smart Cache, 2.80GHz)
- 17.3" Full HD IPS Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU with 8GB GDDR5 Video Memory
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- 16GB DDR4 SDRAM at 2400MHz - 1 X 16GB
- 250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- 1TB FireCuda SSHD Drive
- Killer Dual Band Wireless-AC 1535 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module Software & Services

- SAGER 3 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty [+$179.00]

- $2,128.00

Tho in processing, I'm now considering making another request to upgrade the 250GB to 500GB SSD and eliminate the 1TB HDD. I see the pairing of SSDs with HDDs as an industry transition out of HDDs. Besides, who needs a terabyte of storage? I've been using a 450GB HDD for the past 5 years and have only used one-fifth of the available space. With the superior speed and reliability of SSDs. I see no need for the now antiquated HDDs. Perhaps it's more of a philosophical rather than a practical or economical decision, but I believe I'll be better served, having all my meager files on the single SSD. What is your opinion concerning this issue?

Thanks again,
Robert

rdcast123

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Okay, vapour. With the higher expense of larger SSDs, I see the wisdom for the second lower cost HDD mule, but honestly, why so large? It's as tho the HDD manufacturers are begging us to purchase their waning technology with ridiculously cheap terabyte sizes, despite having no practical use.

severinsen70

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
I like hybrid drives as well actually. You can load your OS and any programs/files you want to access FAST on the ssd. Stuff like video/music/games/misc all go on my regular hdd. Also eliminates the need for an external HDD.

rdcast123

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Hi severinsen70,

You obviously support the configuration of combining SSD with a TB-HDD regardless of the imbalance. When prices for SSDs come down, there will be no HDD second drive anywhere beyond legacy systems. I understand the concept of putting most used files on the superior SSD, but when you say "Stuff like video/music/games/misc all go on my regular hdd", by saying "regular hdd", you avoid the elephant in the room, and that is, some people, if not most, don't see the irony of peeing into the ocean. The "Stuff" you're talking about won't ever amount to but an infinitesimal fraction of a terabyte drive. The only two reasons to buy such a horrendous drive would either be for a misperceived value in price or for having been sold on the concept that bigger is somehow better. In this case, no page or swap file is large enough to require that much volume. It's your God-given right to accept this technological imbalance. We can't all agree all the time. No worries.

Thanks for helping,
Robert

rdcast123

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
"You can opt for smaller HDD, but not much cheaper. If you download movies from netflix, it will fill up quickly"

Thanks, vapour. You always seem to come up with sound positions. But I don't use Netflix or download movies in any case. I visited several customizing computer companies who also deal with gaming laptops, and you're right in saying the price differences between sizes are insignificant. In some cases, the only options were either a 1 or 2TB-HDD or even larger in that category. I think it would be optimal for many people like myself, to have an option of a 750GB SSD to be our only drive. I predict within a year, both prices and sales for any HDD will have fallen through the floor, and certainly not to be found on my system.

Thanks,
Robert

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
It's all about usecase scenarios.

I watch movies, play games, and music production.

I need TB's of storage on my main PC. HDD's are not going away anytime soon. They're still practical and economical.

severinsen70

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Once you have 2+TB of files (including all my documents, and media) and don't want to spend $600 on a single drive is where you opt for HDD combo. SSDs may be getting alot more popular but you'll be waiting a while for HDD's to die out. Typically you can upgrade the SSD as well for probably cheaper than paying for an upgraded model from manufacturer

rdcast123

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Dream on Corwin65. Any drop in SSD pricing will destroy the HDD market. And it won't be the first dropping off of any particular outdated storage medium. History dictates that it will happen. How will they then market it? "Buy your cheap, unstable, and slow HDD HERE!". LOL

All the best,
Robert

severinsen70

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
There's actually quite fast HDD's out there if you look into it as well, same with hybrid drives. SSDS haven't seen a significant price drop in a while, almost same prices as when I built my desktop 4 years ago (excluding sales).

That's like saying because i7 cpu are so much better than i3 are obsolete and no one should buy them.

rdcast123

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Agreed severinsen70. But your assumption of a long period of time must pass before the new and much-improved technology dominates should be reconsidered. If we haven't learned anything, at least let us agree that modern-day technological advancements now doubles every year. This increase in rapid advancement has only become more intense as time goes on. To not fully face the fact that SSD pricing will fall dramatically in the face of extreme popularity, is not understanding the marketplace. But understand, I'm not accusing you of that.

Thanks,
Robert