Gaming Laptop Decision

MrVance96

Estimable
Dec 13, 2015
I am looking into getting a new gaming laptop and I am having a hard time deciding between these two laptops

ASUS G751JL-WH71(WX)

MSI GE62 Apache Pro-004

Differences I noticed:
-Asus has better GPU(Overclocked Nvidia GTX 965M vs MSI's Nvidia GTX 960M) but an older CPU (i7 4720HQ vs MSI's i7 6700HQ). Not sure how much of an impact the fact that the CPU is older in the Asus will have on its superior GPU
-Both have 16GB memory, however, Asus has a DDR3 memory while the MSI is DDR4. How much of an impact does this difference actually make??
-Asus has an Intel HM87 chipset while the MSI has an Intel HM170. Again, what effect does this difference have?
-Asus HDD cycles at 5400rpm and the MSI HDD is 7200rpm
**I am by no means an expert in any of this!!**
Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out which one has the best overall performance and will run games the best (highest graphics possible and well) and quality/reliability. Please help!

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Not trying to dissuade you here, but why a gaming laptop? For the money your going to drop on one of those two, you could build a very good gaming desktop PC with a 24 - 27" monitor...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

maybe he wants to be portable....

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Which is absolutely fine, but everyone I know who's ended up buying a gaming laptop, usually also ends up buying a separate mouse (as the onboard mouse controller is crap)...which means finding a flat surface to setup on...which sort of defeats the point in my view. That plus the minimal screen estate and a lack of upgrade path is a real show stopper for me....

I would say that the asus is the best due to the gpu. Unless the games you play are cpu intensive, I will always encourage to get the best gpu. Plus I don't think the cpu in the asus is bad. It should be able to play the current and future games quite well. The hdd is not really a problem as it can be replaced if you open it up. As for the ram types I have no idea of the impact.