Gaming laptop for £1000

smasher248

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
1. What is your budget? £1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p(4k would be nice but i doubt its in my price range)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Laptop, as thin a possible for carting to college

5. How much battery life do you need? not bothered, will always be plugged in

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Prefrably a 970m 6gb(but 3gb is ok)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
3d model, and visual studio 2015
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? not bothered, have my own

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2 - 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? none(would prefer not to have one so i can be thinner

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. none, dont mind which brand

13. What country do you live in?
Scotland, UK
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Nvme drive would be lovely but again might be asking to much

Solution

Greetings, smasher:

Here's a candidate for your consideration: The Lenovo Y700 15.6", at £1,100 from
http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-15/

Scroll down and locate 'Part Number: 80NV00R1UK'. You get a quad-core i7 Skylake CPU and a 4GB GTX960M GPU, which seems to be the most powerful combination in this price range. Also, you get a 4K IPS display, which won't do anything for your gaming, but you'll appreciate it for everything else. Subtract £100 if you're OK with 2K.

Interestingly, this Y700 offers 2 separate hard disks (not the crazy hybrid thing) 1TB on mechanical and 256GBs on SSD, respectively. My only reservation is the 'modest' amount of RAM. Although 8GBs will handle most, if not all, games you come across, more and more games these days will require 16GBs of RAM (usually UnrealEngine-based games), and although you can still ignore this, it is a sign of the times. Unfortunately, 16GBs is only available with the 17.3" version, which adds another £50.

I know there are lots of other machines available at £1,000 from ASUS ROG, MSI, Acer Predator and Dell Alienware, but this Lenovo should at least give you a realistic point of reference.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

smasher248

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Looks pretty good, but the gpu is only a 960m which is like 1/2 as good as a 970m, i feel this wouldn't be able to run many triple a games even on low, which is what its needed for, but i guess my budget is just a little too low

Hello, smasher:

Yes, I'm afraid you're going to have to upgrade your budget a bit. The GTX 970M laptops I've come across have either been sold-out, available only in the US or used. I managed to find a new MSI on Amazon UK, but it's £1,700.

Edit: About AAA gaming, I have to say it does depend on what you mean by 'AAA'. My old Lenovo Y50 using a GTX 860M runs Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Evil Within, Metal Gear Solid V and GTA V at high settings. I would expect a GTX 960M to be able to handle those games at Ultra or Extreme, and any other newer games like The Division without problems.