Gaming Laptop Long-term purchase strategy

Jun 8, 2018
I am trying to work out the best long-term strategy for the purchase of gaming laptops (I know desktops are cheaper, more upgradable, and generally a much better option for gaming.. but unfortunately they are not an option for me).

As I see it, everyone has a budget over a given time period, but there are essentially 2 strategies you could go for:

1. Buy the laptop with the biggest, best and latest GPU and latest gen CPU you can afford within budget. Then hope it lasts for a long time.

2. Buy a budget laptop with mediocre specs every 3 years or so (based on current GPU upgrade cycle)

3. Buy a laptop with a mediocre GPU and the best CPU you can get. When GPU is obsolete/fails get an eGPU enclosure and latest gen GPU.

Now bearing in mind that a high end laptop costs maybe 5x that of a low end, or 3x of a mid range. What is the best long-term strategy to keep playing high end games at decent frame rates and graphic levels?

Solution
If you don't want to get a desktop, option 3 is out since you will need the video card box and a monitor to connect to it, really no difference from that and a desktop system.

I would get a mid range system if you are OK with replacing it.
If you don't want to get a desktop, option 3 is out since you will need the video card box and a monitor to connect to it, really no difference from that and a desktop system.

I would get a mid range system if you are OK with replacing it.

Solution
Jun 8, 2018

An eGPU is a viable option with my setup but weirdly a desktop is not... and yes I am aware this is quite unusual.

Btw I think I am inclined to agree with mid range regular replacement. Now the question is gtx 1060 or something better or worse?
I can get a 1060 rig for about £900 to 1000, a 1070 for about £1500, or a 1050 for may £650 to 800 ish.

I would go with a 1060 card, should be good for medium settings in any game for a bit at 1080.