Gaming laptop processor and ssd

Thechize

Estimable
May 28, 2014
Hey guys i was wondering since I am purchasing the gt60 dominator 424 if i should downgrade the i7 4800mq (2.7 ghz) to the i7 4700mq (2.4ghz) to get a 128gb ssd? Thank You!

Solution
Hmm, the eternal question, ssd vs processer. Personally, I woul go with the higher CPU. You may suffer slightly slower loading times, but when gaming you will get better performence due to higher cpu. Nothing is more annoying than having an underpowered CPU. Also, with 128gb ssd, it will run OS fine, but not enough space for many games, so they will have to be on the hard disk anyway.

As far as I know you can upgrade and put one in later if you wish. This may void warrenty (you will have to check) but it is far easier to swap in a ssd than change a processor (and a lot cheaper, you are not getting rid of anything)

Go with the HDD

Tom

iliketrainz98

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hmm, the eternal question, ssd vs processer. Personally, I woul go with the higher CPU. You may suffer slightly slower loading times, but when gaming you will get better performence due to higher cpu. Nothing is more annoying than having an underpowered CPU. Also, with 128gb ssd, it will run OS fine, but not enough space for many games, so they will have to be on the hard disk anyway.

As far as I know you can upgrade and put one in later if you wish. This may void warrenty (you will have to check) but it is far easier to swap in a ssd than change a processor (and a lot cheaper, you are not getting rid of anything)

Go with the HDD

Tom

Solution

iliketrainz98

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Sorry to bother, but I wouldnt say that is correct. That is why they do benchmarks with different CPU's for games, because it affects the FPS. Both the CPU and GPU work together in gaming.

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

In this case, the difference in CPU will amount to 1-2fps MAX IF the GPU is something that can max every game. If it is anything less than a gtx880m or SLI gtx870m, there will be ZERO difference in the CPU performance in games. And if it is one of those listed, there will be no more than 0-2fps difference as they are the SAME CPU with a TINY difference in core clock.

This is a fact.

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

There simply will not be. Sorry. They will perform identically.

Thechize

Estimable
May 28, 2014

Hey Tom let me ask you is it more future proof to go with the higher cpu? Will it work better and not run as hot as the i7 4700mq? Will the extra .3ghz be more effective and worth it? Thank You!

Thechize

Estimable
May 28, 2014

How will the extra .3ghz improve the gaming and just overall functionality? Also what about of ssd is good for gaming?

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
It will not improve gaming at all. It will make no difference in the computer at all. Like I said it is marketing.

The SSd will not improve game FPS. All it will do is improve level and game load times which are not affected by the internet. It will make the computer as a whole feel faster though, in regards to opening programs and things like that.

Thechize

Estimable
May 28, 2014

What ssd should i get?

Thechize

Estimable
May 28, 2014

60gb ssd or 128gb ssd.

Also do you know if i put ic diamond thermal paste on will the laptop be cooler?

Thechize

Estimable
May 28, 2014

Thanks again