Gaming laptop temperature

Mar 2, 2018
Hi everyone. So recently I bought an Alienware 15 r3 with i7 7700hq and gtx 1070. I tried OCCT stress test for 20 min and the max CPU temperature was 78c (kinda good I guess) but the problem arises when I do normal tasks. The laptop starts at room temperature and slowly increases to average of 53c.The computer stays at 50 to 60 c when browsing,watching videos and programming. Is this normal?
PS I haven't done any underclocking.
I live in India where the room temperature is around 30c

Solution
You have a high end i7-7700HQ quad core CPU; it is rated to to use up to 45w of power. Your mate only has a dual core i5 CPU which is one of the "u" model low power CPUs that are rated to use 15w of power.

More cores and higher power consumption = more heat. It is normal.

sharp334

Great
Mar 2, 2018
Yup with Ambient temp at 30 Celcius you are running at great tempratures. He really for longevity alot of people consider 65 Celcius to be a conservative, happy temperature thrashold. No worries!

Mar 2, 2018
And recently I was checking on one of my mate's laptops who has dual core i5 and the idle temp was 41 degrees c. This is really bugging me is there any problem with my laptop or is it just the way it is?

You have a high end i7-7700HQ quad core CPU; it is rated to to use up to 45w of power. Your mate only has a dual core i5 CPU which is one of the "u" model low power CPUs that are rated to use 15w of power.

More cores and higher power consumption = more heat. It is normal.

Solution
Mar 2, 2018
Thank you for the answers! I am quite convinced now that I have got a good model. If I am not bothering much , one think I noticed was under normal usage ,even though the temps were at 53 c, the fans never even started once. They start spinning only under gaming . Just worried abt this a little.. is it normal?

Depends on how the manufacturer decided to set up the laptop. Most people actually want quite laptops even when they play games. As long as the laptop remains reasonably cool with quiet fans then you are good.

In general, I prefer CPU temps to remain under 80c when the CPU is being stressed (playing games, encoding videos). I consider 80c to be "warm" and that is perfectly fine. When CPU temps gets to 85c+, then I become concerned.