Gaming question? 5.1 or 7.1 Visual surround . Should I upgrade to 7.1 or keep my 5.1 setup for headphones?

myaccount1234

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
I got a a PS4 and I am using Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones with
Ear Force DSS Dolby® surround sound processor with it. It only supports 5.1 and not 7.1 with the PS4. Should I upgrade and buy MixAmp Pro TR for PS4. It supports Dolby Surround 7.2 for any stereo headphones. Will this make a difference in sound quality and directional performance for sound in FPS games? I notice it even has higher Frequency Response 10Hz-24,000 Hz vs 20-20Hz DSS.

moving from virtual 5.1 to virtual 7.1 is not going to make much of a difference generally.

what makes more of a noticeable difference is swapping between virtual surround technologies, as well as the quality of the amplifier and DAC's used. also it should be noted that with wide soundstage headphones like the ad900x some people actually prefer stereo mode (not using virtual) than using virtual. i would test this yourself to see if you fall into this category before progressing.

it has been said the mixamp is not all that great at imaging (creating the virtual 3d effect) but i'm basing that on a few reviews i've read. not sure about the earforce dss.

myaccount1234

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015

I tried pcm stereo on a few games with the earforce dss and I hated how it made some games sound like crap. Bf4 sounded OK , but Watch Dogs sounded like crap so it depends on the game.