Trying to set up Logitech z506 to either my TV or PS4 Pro. Wanting 5.1 Surround Sound, not Stereo.

Apr 18, 2018
So here's the situation.

PS4 Pro has HDMI and Optical output

TV has a R/W RCA and Optical output

Then Z506 sound system has a 3x3.5mm and R/W RCA input.

Now in the little research Ive done, I understand trying to run R/W directly from TV to the Sound Receiver will only output stereo 2.1 sound and not true surround sound. My goal is trying to get true 5.1 Dolby surround sound out of these speakers for TV/PS4.

Here are the few ways I thought of and need someone with experience to let me know which works and is the best.

1. I can get a Optical cable for the PS4, get a converter/adapter that then transfers the audio to a 3x3.5mm. In the research Ive done, I hear these adapters are also very much hit or miss, sometimes not working, getting static noises, breaking down after a month, delayed sound, etc. I need something reliable.

2. I can get a Optical cable for the TV, get a converter/adapter that then transfers the audio to a 3x3.5mm. Same as above but rather than plug directly to PS4 i plug into TV instead.. Not sure if there's a difference in quality? Ive heard TV outputs tend to always default to Stereo, while PS4 you can change settings to be either 5.1 or 2.1

3. I can use R/W RCA -> 3 Female 3.5mm output from TV and plug in the 3 Male 3.5mm double sided cable that came with the sound system. In not sure if this will actually work, or if it will come out as Stereo sound.

4. I can get a HDMI audio extractor-splitter. So HDMI to HDMI/Optical or 3x3.5mm. It would plug the PS4's HDMI into the splitter, another HDMI to the TV then the 3x.35mm to the z506. One I seen is this model

Which of those would be the best? And offer the best 5.1 surround sound quality. Remember im also looking for as little static or audio desync as possible.

Solution
The HDMI extractor you link to will work for the PS4 but doesn't support HDMI 2.0 so won't do 4k even though the description say it does. A 4k TV won't accept 4k from a HDMI 1.4b device.
It won't help at all with the TV because it doesn't mention ARC in the description so you can't use an HDMI input selector with it and pull audio out of the TV.
I would connect the PS4 to the TV and just use an optical to analog 5.1 converter. Yes they are not great but then neither would the one in the extractor be any better.
Save up for an AVR and some real speakers.
The HDMI extractor you link to will work for the PS4 but doesn't support HDMI 2.0 so won't do 4k even though the description say it does. A 4k TV won't accept 4k from a HDMI 1.4b device.
It won't help at all with the TV because it doesn't mention ARC in the description so you can't use an HDMI input selector with it and pull audio out of the TV.
I would connect the PS4 to the TV and just use an optical to analog 5.1 converter. Yes they are not great but then neither would the one in the extractor be any better.
Save up for an AVR and some real speakers.

Solution
Apr 18, 2018
Hey thanks for replying. Okay ill steer away from the HDMI extractor. And I dont feel like spending $200+ for a surround system for the bedroom. I had this z506 set since 2012, got my money worth out of it as my gaming PCs sound system but i upgraded about a year ago and this z506 has just been sitting around in closet collecting dust. Figure I could easily spend $20-50 on a few cables and converters to get some better sound for the bedroom